Topic: SPAM by forum mailer

Actually i switched to FluxBB, but I want to let you know that SPAM is sent via the forum mailer:

from    PunBB Forums Mailer <anatoly@punbb.org>
reply-to    eken <***@yahoo.co.uk>
to    ***@gmx.de
date    Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 10:55 AM
subject    DEAR

hide details 10:55 AM (4 hours ago)

eken from PunBB Forums has sent you a message. You can reply to eken by replying to this e-mail.

The message reads as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

City: Cocody, Abidjan

My private e-mail: ***@yahoo.co.uk

Dear Respectful One,

Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. My name is ***, the only child/son of late Mr. and Mrs.***, my father was a  Wealth Cocoa Merchant, the Director General of the Cocoa Exporter Corporation (C.E.C.) here in Abidjan the Economic Capital of Ivory Coast.  Before the sudden death of my father on 30th Nov 2007. He told me that he has the sum of $9.2 million US dollars (Nine Million Two Hundred Thousand US Dollars) deposited with my name as the next of kin in a bank here in Abidjan City. I have the deposit documents with me here in the Guest House were I am presently residing for safety of my life, I can send the documents to you upon your demand hence we build more trust to each other.

Dear, I am humble seeking for your assistance in these following ways:

1. To provide a bank account where the money can be transfer oversea

for investment.

2. To serve as my legal guidian because I am a girl of 19 years old.

3. To look for me a good school in your country where I can continue my

educational career in medicine.

I am willing to offer you 20% of the total sum as compensation for your effort input and mapped out 5% for any expense you might make during the transfer, like telephone calls, transportations and etc.. Please send me your direct telephone and more information about yourself, so that I can submit it to the bank and introduce you to the bank as my legal guardian and family trustee.

Thanks for everything in advance.

Yours Sincerely,

My private e-mail:***@yahoo.co.uk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

--

PunBB Forums Mailer

Re: SPAM by forum mailer

I received my second such mailing today.

Yeah, like I'm going to provide them my bank account and for safe measure I'll also forward you my social security number while I'm at it.

I think it's time to change my email address on these forums.

lol...

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

I have had this, rather annoying.

going to change my email address here now so no more junk.

I see. So the mailer hasn't been hijacked or hacked. This spammer eken just signed up as a forum member and worked his way down the userlist sending a message to each forum member, either manually (which it looks like from the send times of the emails) or through some automated process.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened before.

I wonder if there is any way to prevent it?

One way may be limiting the amount of messages a forum member can send throught the forum to other users during a particular time period - eg not allowing more than 100 messages to be sent per user in any 24 hour period via the forum mailer.

I believe a flood setting is being introduced for the forum mailer.

What amazes me is that 48 hours after I informed those in charge of this forum of the spammer eken, that the user is still allowed to have an account on this forum.

Maybe it's about time the user database is purged of apparent bot and spammer signups, you know the ones, those that have a group_id of 32000 and user names like !!-credit-report-!!.

Thanks.

An extension that blocks new users from using email and pm (if installed) for the first X days might be handy.

Hello.

damaxxed wrote:

Actually i switched to FluxBB, but I want to let you know that SPAM is sent via the forum mailer

Sorry, but I have missed this topic some way and was just pointed to it.
Could you please send me complete copy of the message (.msg file or whatever) to anatoly@punbb.org.
I'll investigate this case and give you reply.

Carpe diem

hcgtv wrote:

What amazes me is that 48 hours after I informed those in charge of this forum of the spammer eken, that the user is still allowed to have an account on this forum.

eken banned

I'd ask anyone report such issues to anatoly@punbb.org at once.

Carpe diem