Topic: [extension request] Private Threads

Hi,

A extension for private threads would be a cool feature. So that the user who has posted can only view/reply/modify the thread in a particular forum category.

Ofcourse Mods / Admins would be also able to perform all functions too. Only other users should NOT be able to see the posts etc. at all and they should see only theirs.

Thanks.

Re: [extension request] Private Threads

Could you please give a real-life example of using this feature?

Carpe diem

Why do you need a "real-life" example?
Its easy to understand what he wants =]

Mark wrote:

Why do you need a "real-life" example?
Its easy to understand what he wants =]

Because I want to try to estimate how many boards may want to use this.
Do I get right "private thread" as thread visible to it's owner only? Maybe I'm narrow-minded but I can imagine only several exotic examples of using this hmm

Carpe diem

5 (edited by kikloo 2008-07-21 08:56)

Hi,

I am glad that you are asking. I will explain how it can benefit PunBB and its users:

1. I run a small time hosting company and I right now have to use 3 different softwares in order to provide complete support to my clients i.e: Knowledge Base script, Support Ticket System and a Forum.

My client has to register at all 3 places differently in order to get help and support which I myself feel is very annoying. So if PunBB gets a private thread feature then in real I can pack all of these 3 things into 1 single PunBB.

Now you ask How ?

1. I create a forum category called Knowledgebase (Knowledge base script is taken care off)
2. Forum is already going to be there in PunBB (Forum is already done)
3. Private Threads in PunBB which will act as Support Ticket System. As this will be private, so clients will see their own threads (tickets). Why private ? Becuase clients will post their username / password etc. which nobody else should see.

This is a very basic thing which can be put in the forum rules in admin area of PunBB. phpBB and vB etc. already have this but they are slow and bulky. This will be a good additon as far as I think.

I am not sure how many people are using a forum software as a support ticket system but I think that its going to be a great reliefe for clients as they don't have to register at 3 different places, I don't have to update all the folders everytime there's a change, so its just going to be a great reliefe.

I hope many people who are using 3 different solutions may go for this. I know that this is not the best way but it works. Simply forcing the user to subscribe to the thread in the private forum and whenever admin/support staff replies the client gets an email telling that reply is there.

An example:

If I have (kikloo) has started a thread in private forum category, then its only visible by me, mods and admins. If anyone else tries to view then they get access denid or something like that.

Main thing is that with this feature added PunBB will be able to act as a Knowledge Base, Support Ticket System and Forum. All in One package! smile I hope you get my point.

Thanks.

Got it. Thanks, kikloo.

It seems to be a pretty simple extension at first glance.
Also think of using private messaging (though I see the difference ))

Added "[extension request] ..." to the topic subject

Carpe diem

Hi,

Yes it is, as I was trying it but I am 100% sure that it will be easier for everyone if its in the form of an extension. Also Private Messaging is a good temporary solution but it won't be on record like threads which can be viewable by all support staff, mods, admins etc.

Also 1 question which just came to my mind. The user must not be able to edit / modify their thread / post once posted. Becuase if there's dispute of any type with the client then he may edit the content and evidence gets destroyed.

Thanks.

Anatoly wrote:

Got it. Thanks, kikloo.

At first glance, yes. Just remember that there are multiple points to consider with this, however. Firstly, you also have to make certain that the restrictions apply across the likes of edit/post/subscriptions, and everywhere else where you can directly submit an ID of a topic/post. Also, to keep things truly invisible, you also have to take post/topic counts into consideration. There are multiple back doors that you have to close for this particular mod.

MattF wrote:
Anatoly wrote:

Got it. Thanks, kikloo.

At first glance, yes. Just remember that there are multiple points to consider with this, however. Firstly, you also have to make certain that the restrictions apply across the likes of edit/post/subscriptions, and everywhere else where you can directly submit an ID of a topic/post. Also, to keep things truly invisible, you also have to take post/topic counts into consideration. There are multiple back doors that you have to close for this particular mod.

As well as in Moderation Queue, this extension may have its' own table for private topics. Other way is to set special hidden forum to own these topics.
Anyway this will hardly be an official extension.

Carpe diem

10 (edited by twohawks 2008-12-21 19:25)

If I understand this correctly, here is another example (I am researching how to do this today)....

We use subforum mod. 
1. The Admin creates a Parent forum called "Bee Company" to which all users at levels 'A', 'B' and/or 'C' have read access. 
2. When you go into Bee Company Forum, there is the main/parent Forum, and then there are subforums listed for Bee Company group activities.  Other Users may read and watch, but only Bee Company members may post and interact - these subforums are for them.
3. We wish to have the subforums listed on the index, which requires giving read access to the main forum.
**4. The Admin wishes to create a Private Topic for her eyes only in the Parent Forum where she can make notes on Bee Company individual and group progress taking place in the subforums

Hope this makes sense.  What it would require is the ability to check off a topic as 'Private', similarly as you would as 'Sticky'.

I was thinking that if I got your idea right, kikloo, then posting this may be helpful to sorting out the value of this, and the solution.  This would be a typical tool for forums for schools that almost any teacher would find useful.

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

I think it's a great idea for an extension. When not necessary, the extension can be disabled in case of abuse.

This is a pretty interesting idea. I think instead of thinking of them as "private", another way to think of it is that in a subforum with this mod enabled, the user will have "blinders" put on so that only their threads are listed. A user with UserID 123 would only see threads in which UserID 123 is the first poster, or thread owner.

Cool idea