Topic: Private Message Mode Configuration Section Doesn't Work

I was using Apache2 on Ubuntu Gnome environment and had PunBB 1.2.20 installed. I got several plugins running on that webserver quite smoothly without any problems. Now I switched to Archlinux and installed Apache httpd. I re-installed the same software (PunBB 1.2.20) without any problems, but I'm experiencing problems with `Private Message Mode` plugin. I followed the same procedures I did before on Ubuntu distro and loaded the plugin. The plugin works fine, but when I would try to go to Administration's tab and try to enter it's configuration section, I would end up in a white screen. I checked the httpd error logs, nothing is there. Any ideas of what specific configuration or modules I would require to load for the httpd server?

Re: Private Message Mode Configuration Section Doesn't Work

There are no PHP errors at all in the logs? Try setting error_reporting to E_ALL in include/common.php and see if that shows anything in the logs.

I checked include/common.php, i got error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE); already set, I tried setting it to error_reporting(E_ALL); nothing was in the error_log. in php.ini I got also error_reporting  =  E_ALL set and also I tried to set it to error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE, eventually nothing. So I think that the error logging environment is set, but nothing shows. Something weird is there.

Anyone could give me another advice how to backtrace it? or atleast if nothing further than this could be done, could tell me how to change the number of default allowed messages in inbox per user?

compengi wrote:

Anyone could give me another advice how to backtrace it?

Without having some info from the logs about specifics, it's akin to peeing into the wind trying to say where the problem may lie. Your best option is to read through existing threads, (both here and on punres.org), on this mod, and see what's mentioned in those.

compengi wrote:

or atleast if nothing further than this could be done, could tell me how to change the number of default allowed messages in inbox per user?

There should be a plugin which you can access through the admin section.

MattF wrote:

There should be a plugin which you can access through the admin section.

Well.. my problem is in this section. When I try to enter that plugin (Private Message Mode) listed in admin's area, I get a white page.

7 (edited by User33 2008-10-20 23:03)

The typical solution a Windows user would give is: Reinstall (PunBB and the plugins [maybe your server software, too]) + Restart (MySQL and Apache). Sorry, that's all I can think of...

compengi wrote:

When I try to enter that plugin (Private Message Mode) listed in admin's area, I get a white page.

Try to locate the bug. The simple trick is to place die('test'); in the code: if you see 'test', the problem is later, if you don't - earlier :-)

Carpe diem

die('test'); doesn't help when inserting it between the script's code. I tried to insert it at the beginning of the code, which executed nothing.

compengi wrote:

die('test'); doesn't help when inserting it between the script's code. I tried to insert it at the beginning of the code, which executed nothing.

Reinstall plugin.

And you still need to find the place it stops rendering the page.

Carpe diem

I'm not sure what's going on, either it's some missing load module in Apache or some miss compatibility of some kind of Punbb's function under new Apache. Before heading to this forum and seaking for help, I had reinstalled the plugin for 10 times with different ways, even I thought of some folder permissions not correctly set or some owner problems, but none worked. Currently, I won't try to re-install Apache server as "Garciat" had suggested, since it took me a bit till I figured out how to configure the default Apache's setup, after switching from Ubuntu to Arch changed every single setup I used to do. I would try to re-install all this once again after your next Punbb final stable release. Though, if someone could tell me how to change the default number of allowed saved messages per each user in his inbox for this plugin manually, I would very appriciate it. Noting that the plugin works well and only the plugin's configuration section is messed up.

Try to contact plugin developer.

Carpe diem

13 (edited by MattF 2008-10-28 06:31)

In the groups table, there are two columns: g_pm and g_pm_limit. g_pm is set 0 for disabled, 1 for enabled. g_pm_limit is obviously the group message limit. 20 by default, I believe.

Edit: One thing I would suggest checking with the plugin is for php short tags, i.e: <? instead of <?php. You may not have those enabled on the server, and I seem to recall the mod was a sod for those everywhere, unless they were changed in the last update.

MattF, you finally made it, Thank You. It was short_open_tag set to Off by default which is responsible for "<?" support. And it's the single short tag in the plugin.

I would like to thank also the people that tried to help me out and all your team for it's great support. Thank You.