Topic: phpBB 3 to punBB

Hey!

I have a forum that runs on phpBB3, but the server is going down. I was thinking about changing the forum software as phpBB3 is too overloaded with features, which makes it slow.

The problem is, that punBB doesn't know how to convert a phpBB3 database. Any solutions? I haven't found any way to downgrade from phpBB3 to phpBB2. Of course the phpBB2 converter doesn't work.

Thanks.

Re: phpBB 3 to punBB

We will work on the migration tool from phpBB3, when punBB 1.3 will be finally released.

Hi, I just wanted to ask how's the migration tool going. Thank you for answer.

Eraversum - scifi browser-based online webgame

No answer? sad

An answer to this would be excellent. big_smile

6 (edited by kaptainkory 2008-12-23 06:57)

Thirded.

Just knowing whether there is active work on this or not would be helpful.  I'm no coding genius, but in a pinch I could probably hack up the phpbb2 -> punbb1.3 converter (if there is one?) to do what I need.

If a migration tool is on the horizon, does anyone know what it will do or not?  My phpbb3 forum has some polls, attachments, avatars, BBCode, and such which are of LESSER importance, but the correct post history is pretty important.  If I could get a correctly structured board (categories and forums), post history, and my users back, I'd be happy.

If it isn't already known here, Phpbb3 incorporates a nonstandard password encryption scheme.  So, in the end, any converter will unlikely (or uneasily!!!) be able to convert the passwords.  Users will have to request new passwords after the migration.  I'd be willing to pass on a little bit more information about this if it would help.

(Off-topic -- The forum search on this site seems to work for me intermittently.  Many times it gives me the "no hits" result even when I've tested it with keywords I know to exist on particular forums.  I can't seem to figure out a pattern of when it works and when it doesn't...  I'm using FireFox 3.1b2 on Ubuntu.)

Well, I went ahead and took this route:

phpbb 3 -> smf 1.1.17 -> punbb 1.2.21 -> punbb 1.3.2

Not exactly a pretty process, but the IMPORTANT things (categories, forums, posts, and users) made it through.  Looks like the PMs, avatars, polls, attachments, permissions, and passwords didn't survive; not a big deal to me.  Also, some of the BBC/smiley code in the posts got messed up.  I'll probably try to run some regular expressions through an SQL backup file, then restore to clean up a bit of that.

Has anyone been working on this? I'm evaluating forums and the fact that there was supposed to be an importer when 1.3 was released and its been a few months is not very comforting. SMF makes a huge effort to have importers for all the different forums, and while I'm sure the team is probably smaller here I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to have used one of the most popular forums (phpbb3) and have a desire to be able to keep that data.

I'm so looking forward to this Converter, Phpbb3 is Crapola.   PLEASE HURRY!!!! big_smile

I'm looking for phpBB3 -> punbb-1.3 converter too. lol

I think many people are looking for the phpBB3 to punBB1.3 converter, even me. I cannot work on it but if I had time I'll do for sure... If the dev' team needs help don't hesitate to contact me. I'll have to learn phpbb3 AND punBB1.3 but this converter is really important.

12 (edited by dayslypper 2009-06-27 15:36)

And what about migrating of sub-forums in phpBB3? Developers should take it into account.
It seems to be a big problem till punBB have this feature in core.

I would convert from phpBB3 right now if punBB have subforums  in core and converting would be without problems.

I have more than 100 subforums on my forum.

It seems punbb-1.3.x has sub-forum extensions, maybe you can try punbb core with extensions.

I really love PunBB 1.3.4 and want to use this script for my forum. The problem is that i have not found a way to convert my PHPbb 3.0.5 forum to PunBB 1.3.4. Please let me know if there is a converter available to do that. Any help will be greatly apprciated.

is ready?
smile

i'm waiting for it too
made a huge mistake when choosing phpbb3

17 (edited by ashantycapre 2010-07-13 06:22)

hELLO!
If a migration tool is on the horizon, does anyone know what it will do or not?  My phpbb3 forum has some polls, attachments, avatars, BBCode, and such which are of LESSER importance, but the correct post history is pretty important.  If I could get a correctly structured board (categories and forums), post history, and my users back, I'd be happy.

If it isn't already known here, Phpbb3 incorporates a nonstandard password encryption scheme.  So, in the end, any converter will unlikely (or uneasily!!!) be able to convert the passwords.  Users will have to request new passwords after the migration.  I'd be willing to pass on a little bit more information about this if it would help.
how to hypnotize people

We aren't working on the migration tool at the moment.

Well, almost two years later than I first time asked about this, but now I've got at least my own migration tool big_smile Try it out  wink

//I know, it's a little bump, but I guess some people can be subscribed to this topic...  smile