Re: Why PunBB and not something else?

hcgtv wrote:

If it was in my hands, I would of voted against the punbb.informer.com domain name change wink

Sorry. That is one of the few things I cannot do.
(I personally understand this concern, though I do not think DNS record is really important.)
Can I help you in any other way?

hcgtv wrote:

Remember one thing Anatoly, this is Open Source.

Why do you specially emphasize this for me?

hcgtv wrote:

I wish you and your programmers the best, and I hope that Pun lives on.

Thanks.

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

If it was in my hands, I would of voted against the punbb.informer.com domain name change wink

Sorry. That is one of the few things I cannot do.
(I personally understand this concern, though I do not think DNS record is really important.)

Forgive me for asking (I don't care what your domain is) but I am very curious why you guys at Informer can't go back to the other domain if it bothers people so much.  I mean Coca Cola went back to the original formula after people got upset about New Coke, and that was very expensive  You could change that URL back in just a minute, why don't (won't) you?

Again, it doesn't matter to me but I am very curious why you can't (won't) change it?

Anatoly wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

Why do you specially emphasize this for me?

Well, you seem to be the project leader. I would address it to your boss, but he prefers to stay behind the scenes.

I emphasized open because it's very important, and it doesn't just mean the code base. Open communication is more important to a project than having anonymous SVN access. Anyone can spit code out for all to see, it's those projects that first and foremost value transparency that garner the strong community. An excellent example of this is Joomla!, when they split from Mambo, they opened up to their community, what ensued was nothing short of amazing.

Anatoly, Slava, Roman and Mikhail. If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

hcgtv wrote:

I emphasized open because it's very important, and it doesn't just mean the code base. Open communication is more important to a project than having anonymous SVN access. Anyone can spit code out for all to see, it's those projects that first and foremost value transparency that garner the strong community. An excellent example of this is Joomla!, when they split from Mambo, they opened up to their community, what ensued was nothing short of amazing.

To be truthful though Bert, Anatoly and the other Devs have become far better at communicating and taking advice on board than they were initially. The fact that a company is now in charge does not detract from their personal efforts. smile

MattF wrote:

To be truthful though Bert, Anatoly and the other Devs have become far better at communicating and taking advice on board than they were initially.

Yes, I agree, it's gotten much better than it was at first.

excellent topic. Well done mike for being a brilliant scrutiniser. You created a concise and straight-talking discussion that has allowed me to understand things that I've never known before regarding punbb.

My thoughts:
1) I've been a loyal punbb user for 2.5 years and I hate te domain change to informer. If fluxbb had released 1.3 first I would have switched instantly. But for now I will use punbb 1.3

2) I agree with wordpress integration being very important indeed!!

3) I agree with every word that came out of mike's mouth.

Sort the politics out y'all!

esupergood wrote:

My thoughts:
1) I've been a loyal punbb user for 2.5 years and I hate te domain change to informer. If fluxbb had released 1.3 first I would have switched instantly. But for now I will use punbb 1.3

you know what? I take that back smile

esupergood wrote:

excellent topic. Well done mike for being a brilliant scrutiniser. You created a concise and straight-talking discussion that has allowed me to understand things that I've never known before regarding punbb.

My thoughts:

Sort the politics out y'all!

Thanks for the acknowledgment. It is indeed nice when someone on a forum writes that they appreciate someone else's involvement as more often then not people use forums to attack others they don't know.

esupergood wrote:

Keyboard? But, yeah, Mike did open our eyes.

Anyways, I don't see a big difference from punbb.org and punbb.informer.com (except that it's longer), but, if that's what it takes to reunite FluxBB and PunBB, so be it.

Garciat wrote:
esupergood wrote:

Keyboard? But, yeah, Mike did open our eyes.

Wow, I'm honored. Seriously.

After so many years of left-right debate (in the US) I'd come to the conclusion that everyone had their eye's permanently closed, by their own choice.

MikeSchinkel wrote:

It is indeed nice when someone on a forum writes that they appreciate someone else's involvement as more often then not people use forums to attack others they don't know.

It's called having a personal opinion. Or is only one persons opinion allowed?

37 (edited by MikeSchinkel 2008-11-17 05:16)

MattF wrote:
MikeSchinkel wrote:

It is indeed nice when someone on a forum writes that they appreciate someone else's involvement as more often then not people use forums to attack others they don't know.

It's called having a personal opinion. Or is only one persons opinion allowed?

Funny, I don't remember indicating I considered all differences of opinions to be attacks nor do I remember referencing "MattF" in my generic comment about attacks in forums.

Doth thou protest too much, perhaps?

38 (edited by ganes 2008-11-17 10:42)

hcgtv wrote:
Anatoly wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

I don't feel part of the Informer community

You are the community, and it is in your hands too.

I wish you and your programmers the best, and I hope that Pun lives on.

As I know Open Source is about the code, not how it is funded. I think all open source developer face this funding problem (dilemma). Failling on this will bring the development into a dead end and subsequently hurt users.

is there anybody who really want to work without any rewards? i dont think so. Even if there is any, I bet they will work as they want disregarding users needs.

Open Source is completely exciting for any programmer (web developer) but not  really that exciting for users

no offense, but the main reason I choosed punbb was because I saw a promise of a serious and well-directed development.

Funny, I don't remember indicating I considered all differences of opinions to be attacks nor do I remember referencing "MattF" in my generic comment about attacks in forums.

Doth thou protest too much, perhaps?

Nope. You made a generic comment. I gave a generic reply. smile

MattF wrote:

Nope. You made a generic comment. I gave a generic reply.

Generic maybe, but one that presented a false dichotomy.