Re: [pun_repository bug] Extension installing system

Thanks. We'll investigate this next week.

Any news on it? PunBB 1.3.1 Update brought no changes to the situation, by the way.
Anybody knows if Plesk has some options related to the directory permissions (if we assume that it is really Plesk that causes the problem)?

maststef wrote:

Any news on it?

I've sent a private message to you. Please, verify it ("New messages" link at the top of every forum's page).

I answered your PM. Sorry that I can't help you there.

But I looked through all of Plesk's options. There's nothing that has to do with directory permissions (or something that has to do with the error message I get).
But PHP is enabled in "safe_mode". What exactly is this safe_mode? Maybe it has something to do with it?

maststef wrote:

What exactly is this safe_mode?

See http://ru2.php.net/features.safe-mode for details.

I think that safe mode of PHP may cause this bug. I've just made some tests on PHP5-hosting with safe mode turned on and obtained similar errors. Before these tests I didn't really believe it could be safe mode because pun_repository worked perfect on other PHP4-hosting with safe mode turned on.

I'll make some additional experiments on Monday. But if safe mode realy causes this trouble we will not be able to do something with it.

32 (edited by guest1234 2008-11-28 14:06)

So, you think it's a problem specific with PHP version 5?

Creating (cache), uploading (avatar) and downloading (getting the tgz) files works. What is the technical diference for extracting the tgz files? Is it that PHP has to run a program and that is forbidden through safe_mode?

maststef wrote:

Creating (cache), uploading (avatar) and downloading (getting the tgz) files works. What is the technical diference for extracting the tgz files?

There is a difference between these cases. Owner of the cache directory is your user (because you have manually uploaded it), and owner of any directory created by PHP-script is the web-server.

Here are safe mode restrictions: http://php.net/manual/en/features.safe- … ctions.php

Manual wrote:

fopen(): Checks whether the directory in which the script is operating has the same UID (owner) as the script that is being executed.

Consequently, PHP-script can create a file in cache directory, but (for example) it can't create a file in extensions/pun_bbcode subdirectory (since pun_bbcode has different owner).

As far as I understood, safe_mode is enabled by default these days (or most hosters enable it). How can it be that so many people don't have this problem then?

I don't know, let's ask them.

Please, describe your impression of pun_repository. Does it work fine? Have you any trobles with it?

I've made some tests. safe_mode really causes this issue. Seems like it can't be fixed at all sad

37 (edited by guest1234 2008-12-01 17:52)

Thanks for the info.

Then, is there any reason to still have it installed?

maststef wrote:

is there any reason to still have it installed?

No, you can delete pun_repository and update extensions by yourself.
Though we'll try to do something with it later.

Well, I could still use it to have quick access to the repository content (seeing all official released add-ons in the latest version with download link).
Or is there anything that speaks against this?

maststef wrote:

Well, I could still use it to have quick access to the repository content (seeing all official released add-ons in the latest version with download link).

Yes.

maststef wrote:

Or is there anything that speaks against this?

No. This should work fine. pun_repository checks extensions for new versions once a day, as I remember.

One more question: If I uninstall/disable pun_repository, do the other installed extension still perform the auto-check for updates or is this feature bound to pun_repository?

The forum can check are there new versions of installed extensions or not. pun_repository allows you automatically download and upgrade them and install other extensions.