Topic: [Request] MetaWeblog API for PunBB

I'm really interested to know if anyone has done any work on this, or any pointers on how to.  Considering every blog under the sun has this, I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Thanks!

Re: [Request] MetaWeblog API for PunBB

Ok, I'll bite.

Why would you need a desktop app to post to a forum?

Well the idea is to use the existing forums as a really simple blog, I've already got a section on the website which retrieves the posts within this forum and displays much the same way a real blog does.  However, I currently can't post the same way a blog does.  For the purpose of the website I'm creating any extra software is complete overkill (Why are they so damn big?) especially when punbb (or the other one) has so much overlap and would be perfect for the job.

paulrobert_a wrote:

For the purpose of the website I'm creating any extra software is complete overkill (Why are they so damn big?)

Yeah, I don't care for bloated apps either. But, PunBB is a forum, and thus has features directed towards carrying on a discussion. While a CMS or Blog has features to create and nicely display articles, commenting being an afterthought.

I use Textpattern, it has RPC built in, which I've tested with Live Writer. The zip download for Textpattern 4.0.7 weighs in at 361kb, smaller than PunBB 1.3.1 at 397kb.

I understand what your saying, however what I'm looking for is something really simple, which I believe PunBB can easily cater for considering the job requirements.

Installing forum & blog means duplicate logins, customization, backups, security & maintenance etc... where as getting a forum with MetaWeblog API support probably will only add 40KB to the forum vs 361KB for Textpattern, Pivot 2.2MB or Wordpress 1.2MB.  Another side benefit is SQLite support which the 3 previous blogs don't support but Serendipity does at 4-6MB download (seriously?).

My idea here would be to restrict the MetaWeblog API to one forum and permission set for admins only postings.
That's not to say MetaWeblog API is absolutely required, on the contrary I've already got a forum setup for blog posts and a file that retrieves those fully working with no issues.  This is more my own curiosity, as I believe it can be done no problem, and if I could get it, I'd switch my own blog to this as well.

Oh! I should add I'm not merely asking for talented PHP dev's to do this for me, but mostly information on how to do it my self, especially since I'm not familiar coding PunBB extensions.

Paul, I know where you're coming from cause I've been there.

Let me just say that you need more than a hammer in your tool chest if you're going to make a table wink