Re: Converter: PhpBB2 -> PunBB1.1 v2.0b3

basalphenaar wrote:

I'm back at punBB, i used phpBB for a while, but i didn't like it so much. I converted al the phpBB messages back to punBB,  everything went well but the only problem was that all the messages from guests where gone. I don't think i can get them back, but i just wanted to say this so you could fix this for the next version. (maybe this bug is already reported, i don't know ;) )

Thanks! I'll look at it as soon as possible. Great that people actually report bugs, helps me alot! :)

My guess is that the guest posts aren't changed from user_id 0 to 1.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Probably yes :)

And that was, as I assumed, the problem. Though, it's from user_id -1 to 1:) Fixed it now, and uploaded a new file to PunRes. There's also a fix for the guest-problem at the same page... hopefully I've not forgot anything :)

Chacmool wrote:
basalphenaar wrote:

I'm back at punBB, i used phpBB for a while, but i didn't like it so much. I converted al the phpBB messages back to punBB,  everything went well but the only problem was that all the messages from guests where gone. I don't think i can get them back, but i just wanted to say this so you could fix this for the next version. (maybe this bug is already reported, i don't know wink )

Thanks! I'll look at it as soon as possible. Great that people actually report bugs, helps me alot! smile

no problem man wink

Chacmool wrote:
Rickard wrote:

Probably yes smile

And that was, as I assumed, the problem. Though, it's from user_id -1 to 1:) Fixed it now, and uploaded a new file to PunRes. There's also a fix for the guest-problem at the same page... hopefully I've not forgot anything smile

it's too late for me now, because i already deleted my phpBB database sad, but it's good you fixed it.

basalphenaar wrote:
Chacmool wrote:
Rickard wrote:

Probably yes :)

And that was, as I assumed, the problem. Though, it's from user_id -1 to 1:) Fixed it now, and uploaded a new file to PunRes. There's also a fix for the guest-problem at the same page... hopefully I've not forgot anything :)

it's too late for me now, because i already deleted my phpBB database :(, but it's good you fixed it.

No, its not :). Beqause the converter DID copy all posts, but with wrong ID. So the posts are in your database, but not with the guest-account-id as it should... just run the update, hopefully it works ;)

32 (edited by basalphenaar 2004-03-03 13:26)

Chacmool wrote:
basalphenaar wrote:
Chacmool wrote:

Probably yes smile

And that was, as I assumed, the problem. Though, it's from user_id -1 to 1:) Fixed it now, and uploaded a new file to PunRes. There's also a fix for the guest-problem at the same page... hopefully I've not forgot anything smile

it's too late for me now, because i already deleted my phpBB database sad, but it's good you fixed it.

No, its not smile. Beqause the converter DID copy all posts, but with wrong ID. So the posts are in your database, but not with the guest-account-id as it should... just run the update, hopefully it works wink

Thanks man! You saved me!
big_smile

edit: it works! IT WORKS!

33 (edited by xdf 2004-03-26 13:26)

Page: _users (5)

Converting users...
Psycho (1)
Warning: Missing argument 5 for error() in /home/devil/public_html/punbb/phpbb2_to_punbb1.1_converter_b2/functions.php on line 2

Error:
PunBB: Unable to save user to pun user list (Go back)

MySQL error:
Duplicate entry '1' for key 1

File: /home/devil/public_html/punbb/phpbb2_to_punbb1.1_converter_b2/_users.php
Line: 73

Help please?

while (punbb)
{
     punnerbb();
}

The problem occurs when the converter tries to copy a user from PhpBB with userid 1, the same as punbb guest account. Try changing the file: _users.php so the first lines look like this:

<?
    $start = (int)$_GET['last_id'];
    $start < 2 ? $start = 2 : null;
    echo "\n<br>Converting users...\n"; flush();

Though, the user with id=1 will not be converted now. I have to do some major changes for it to work otherwice...maybe I'll look at it in a few days.

Chacmool: I thought the converter handled that. Won't all conversions fail due to this?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Chacmool: I thought the converter handled that. Won't all conversions fail due to this?

Well, so did I... don't know what went wrong though =/

We discussed the problem with the guest account... that it has userid -1 in PhpBB and 1 in PunBB, and that's fixed. Though, no one else had this problem (hopefully), maybe id 1 isn't used for some reason?

I'm gonna look closer at this...

hi, im new here.  i've been wanting to try out punBB to see just how much better it is than phpBB.  i wanted to be able to let my visitors (the few) not have to worry about missing posts or anything so i asked mako for advice and he showed this,  which brings me to my questions.
(not a programmer so forgive any misplaced/misused terms...lol)
1.  where on my server do i execute the convertor?  do i just upload the folder to my servers public_html (root for my server ) directory and run that directory in my browser or does it have to be in my phpBB directory somewhere. 
2.  if i execute it in the root, then i get the following:

Page: _start (0)

Clearing tables...

Adding guest account
Error:
Unable to add Goust-user
(Go back)

MySQL error:
Table 'cpayk_punforums.punbb_users' doesn't exist

File: /home/cpayk/public_html/PhpBB Convertor/_start.php
Line: 40

reset

i know that the DB cpayk_punforums exists and that it has the .punbbn_users table.  im looking right at it (remember, im not a programmer so i just might be stupid).  as far as i can see, i'm entering the correct prefixes(which i kept default from install) and the db names are right.  my server account and pass are defintaly right.  i also got another error but that seemed to go away somehow.  off the top of my head, i think it was an insert error on line 22 of _start.php.  i don't know if anything i've so far is useful but i figured i'd give it a shot.

Sorry, I've missed this post completely :(

The converter can be placed anywhere, it has no connections to PunBB (don't use PunBB's database class). It seems like you've entered some info wrong when MySQL reports that cpayk_punforums.punbb_users doesn't exist :/

Although, it seems right if you have a database named cpayk_punforums, with the PunBB-prefix punbb_.

Hi :-)

I use an IPB forum for the support forum of a web application PhpWebGallery. No converter from IPB to punBB, only from phpBB to punBB ? no problem ! I'll first convert from IPB to phpBB and after from phpBB to punBB. Lets go !

IPB ==> phpBB ==> punBB

Conversion from IPB to phpBB works good, apparently. I can't see posts and topics from unregistered users, but they are in the database (same number of posts and topics in IPB and phpBB databases).

Once conversion from phpBB to punBB done, I see following problems :

1. HTML code, coming from [ url ] BBCode are translated in only text, no links any more :-/
2. No posts or topics from unregistered users (thus dividing the number of topics by 2)

I'm going to search where the problem can be (as a PHP developper, it would be a shame not to try !). If I find anything, you'll be informed.

BTW, I now realize why using another language than english for coding (comments) can be very confusing (I'm French and on the first releases of PhpWebGallery, a big part of the code was in french, it's not the cas anymore)

A possible problem with BBCode could be that all BBCodes in PunBB are lowercase (to speed up post parsing). If you enter an uppercase BBCode it will be converted to lowercase automatically by PunBB.

In your case, I believe you will have to do a search and replace in all posts and update the BBCodes.

Edit: Come to think of it, doesn't Chacmools converter do that?

z0rglub:
I'm working on an Invision Power Board converter at the moment, so you could wait for it to be done instead if you want :) Or even better, you could beta-test the converter for me, beqause I don't have any large database to test with... (people tend not to be so happy about giving me their database backup-files to play around with :P)

About the problem: I have som join-querys in the converter, and the problem might be that I've not handled the Anonymous/Guest id-numbers correctly. Are you sure the posts/topics are converted to the new database at all?

Rickard:
I've not made any speciall upper/lower-case conversion, so it's possible that the upper case bb-code isn't converted at all =/ The parser code looks like this (copy-pasted from somewhere else, so I'm not sure what #i means):

$pattern...
   '#\[color=(.*?):[a-z0-9]{10}\]#i',

$replace...
   '[color=$1]',

Chacmool wrote:

z0rglub:
I'm working on an Invision Power Board converter at the moment, so you could wait for it to be done instead if you want :) Or even better, you could beta-test the converter for me, beqause I don't have any large database to test with... (people tend not to be so happy about giving me their database backup-files to play around with :P)

No problem for me if you want my database SQL dump. Nothing confidential (passwords are encrypted, of course) But I can also make some test, as you wish.

About the problem: [...] Are you sure the posts/topics are converted to the new database at all?

I've made some tests, here are the results...

IPB database :
- for topics started by unregistered users, ipb_topics.starter_id = 0 and ipb_topics.starter_name = "any guest"
- for posts written by unregistered users, ipb_posts.author_id = 0 and ipb_posts.author_name = "any guest"

phpBB database (by conversion) :
- for topics started by unregistered users, phpbb_topics.topic_poster = 0
- for posts written by unregistered users, phpbb_posts.poster_id = 0 and phpbb_posts.post_username IS NULL

This was a problem even in the phpBB forum so I made updates :

UPDATE phpbb_topics
SET topic_poster = -1
WHERE topic_poster = 0;

and

UPDATE phpbb_posts
SET poster_id = -1, post_username = 'z0rglub_guest'
WHERE poster_id = 0;

... now it's better, I can see topics and posts from guests (but they are all called "z0rglub_guest", I've lost this info during conversion from IPB to phpBB)

punBB database (still by conversion) :
I can see Anonymous topics, but Anonymous posts are not shown :-/

- for topics started by unregistered users, punbb_topics. poster = "Anonymous"
- for posts written by unregistered users, punbb_posts.poster = "Anonymous" and punbb_posts.poster_id = 0

after trying to post as guest directly in punBB forum, I see that anonymous users have poster_id = 1, so

UPDATE punbb_posts
SET poster_id = 1
WHERE poster_id = 0;

and now, I can see anonymous posts :-) (still having lost username informations, but this is due to IPB to phpBB conversion)

Conclusion : problems for phpBB to punBB converter concerning guests on posts. If the phpbb_posts.poster_id = -1, the converter has to create a post with punbb_posts.poster_id = 1 and punbb_posts.poster = phpbb_posts.post_username.

Hope it helps

Chacmool wrote:

Rickard:
I've not made any speciall upper/lower-case conversion, so it's possible that the upper case bb-code isn't converted at all =/ The parser code looks like this (copy-pasted from somewhere else, so I'm not sure what #i means):

$pattern...
   '#\[color=(.*?):[a-z0-9]{10}\]#i',

$replace...
   '[color=$1]',

Well, that should work.

One small issue: the converter choked on importing forums with an apostrophe in the Forum Name, e.g., John's Discussions.

In _forums.php I changed line 18 to read:

\''.html_stuff($ob['forum_name']).'\',

and then the conversion worked like a charmed.

Thanks!

html_stuff() should most likely be addslashes().

Chacmool wrote:

Any idea about the date of the first beta test release of your IPB to PunBB converter ?

z0rglub wrote:
Chacmool wrote:

Any idea about the date of the first beta test release of your IPB to PunBB converter ?

Yes: Three days ago :)

Edit: Created a new topic instead here.

z0rglub:

I've rewritten the conveter so it have the nice PunBB-style (it's the same "system" as the InvPB-converter now). As PunRes doesn't work, the file can be downloaded here. Please report any bugs... hopefully there much less problems with ' and " now.

Edit: Found something I must change... removed the url temporary.

Added private-messages-support to. This version will probably work much better than 1.x, I've found alot of minor bugs and tweeks :) Download from PunRes.

z0rglub: Would be great if you could try this one. The guest-id-problem should be solved... hopefully :P

Chacmool wrote:

z0rglub: Would be great if you could try this one. The guest-id-problem should be solved... hopefully :P

Too late, I converted my IPB 1.1 forum to punBB 1.1.3. See PhpWebGallery forum :-)