Topic: can you consider to have a web database?

Hi,

I saw some forums on the internet using web to store their database instead of mysql, would it be faster that way? can you consider try it for the new version where we can have a selection for the database?

thanks, good job!

Re: can you consider to have a web database?

Hmm, I don't understand. What do you mean by "web" to store the data?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I think he means flat file storage. About being faster: I Doubt it, because you are going to need a lot of files. If you only have one file, then problem is with bandwith. If all our users are using the same file at the same time, its gonna be slow.

Do, or do not.

Yeah, like when installing the forum, we can make a folder called "database" and all the posts, users datas been stored there, and to improve speed...

I thought one of the major things with choosing a database before using files was the speed. I don't think any file based systems is faster than any database. But it's a good thought if you had a small forum which don't require super speed :)

It will definately not be faster. Database management systems such as MySQL are constructed for one thing and one thing only, to handle data. That's why we use them instead of trying to reinvent the wheel in PHP code (almost always a bad idea).

There have been numerous forum systems based on flat file databases, but all of them (afaik) have had performance problems and have since migrated to support "real" databases instead.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Some hosts won't even allow flat file databases because they hog the server too much.

Flat file databases are in no way faster than MySQL. Not only that, flat file databases are a pain in the ass to backup and are very slow once they get large. MySQL databases backup to one file and are just ungodly fast compared to flat file. Does anyone remember having to backup old forum systems like the first UBB with its flat file database? *shivers*

Skye wrote:

Does anyone remember having to backup old forum systems like the first UBB with its flat file database? *shivers*

Yes, I do. I also remember UBB crashing beyond repair when there were a few hundred thousand posts :-)

Rickard wrote:
Skye wrote:

Does anyone remember having to backup old forum systems like the first UBB with its flat file database? *shivers*

Yes, I do. I also remember UBB crashing beyond repair when there were a few hundred thousand posts :-)

Dude, I was traumatized for life back in the days....