Topic: Spoiler Tags

Hello!

I'm running a german movie website and one of the disadvantages of discussing movies in a forum is: how can you tell important details of a movie without ruining the fun for people who haven't seen the movie? If you tell the surprise ending of a film somebody who wanted to see the movie will surely kill you.

So, I tried to make a workaround. It's not a real mod, only some additional lines in two scripts (version 1.1.2!). It works as follows:

[spoiler]This text will tell you the murderer.[/spoiler]

This will print your text like a quote, but in a almost unreadable color, nearly the same as the background color.

For an example have a look in this thread I've just started: http://www.senseofview.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=109
The text is in german but I think you can see the functionality.

So, what have I changed? The only scripts I modified are edit.php and includes/parser.php and you have to make some additions in your style sheets.

Okay, first edit.php. In lines 112 and 113 I changed

$a = array("#\[quote\]#i", "#\[quote=#i" ... "#\[url=#i", "#\[/url\]#i");
$b = array('[quote]', '[quote=', '[/quote]', ... '[url]', '[url=', '[/url]');

to

$a = array("#\[quote\]#i", "#\[quote=#i" ... "#\[url=#i", "#\[/url\]#i", "#\[spoiler\]#i", "#\[/spoiler\]#i");
$b = array('[quote]', '[quote=' ... '[url]', '[url=', '[/url]', '[spoiler]', '[/spoiler]');

In includes/parser.php there is something more to do. Well, look around line 80 for:

$q_start = strpos($text, '[quote]');
$q_end = strpos($text, '[/quote]');

and add in the next line:

$s_start = strpos($text, '[spoiler]');
$s_end = strpos($text, '[/spoiler]');

Just some lines below add:

if ($s_start === false) $s_start = 65536;
if ($s_end === false) $s_end = 65536;

And below change

if (min($c_start, $c_end, $q_start, $q_end, $q2_start) == 65536)

to

if (min($c_start, $c_end, $q_start, $q_end, $q2_start, $s_start, $s_end) == 65536)

Below that you'll find something like this:

else if ($c_start < min($c_end, $q_start, $q_end))
{
}
else if ($c_end < min($c_start, $q_start, $q_end))
  message($lang_common['BBCode error'].' '.$lang_common['BBCode error 3']);

Just add almost the same, only modified for the spoiler tags:

// We found a [spoiler]
else if ($s_start < min($s_end, $q_start, $q_end))
{
    $tmp = strpos($text, '[/spoiler]');
    if ($tmp === false)
        message($lang_common['BBCode error'].' '.$lang_common['BBCode error 2']);
    else
        $text = substr($text, $tmp+10);

$cur_index += $tmp+10;
}

// We found a [/spoiler] (this shouldn't happen since we handle both start and end tag in the if clause above)
else if ($s_end < min($s_start, $q_start, $q_end))
    message($lang_common['BBCode error'].' '.$lang_common['BBCode error 3']);

Search for the following line:

if (strpos($message, 'quote') !== false)

After the end of the if-clause add this:

if (strpos($message, 'spoiler') !== false)
{
    $message = str_replace('[spoiler]', '<br></span><table style="width:99%" align="center" cellspacing="4" cellpadding="6"><tr><td class="punspoiler"><span class="puntext"><strong>SPOILER!</strong></span><br><span class="punspoilertext">', $message);
    $message = str_replace('[/spoiler]', '</span></td></tr></table><span class="puntext">', $message);
}

That's it! As a last step you've to add to new classes to your style sheets. Just copy the TD.punquote and paste it as TD.punspoiler. And somewhere add a ".punspoilertext", which has a slightly darker color than the background-color of TD.punspoiler. Example:

TD.punspoiler {
    background-color: #F6F6F6;
    border: #606060;
    border-style: dashed;
    border-width: 1px
}
.punspoilertext { color: #D4D4D4; }

So, i hope this wasn't too confusing. If I missed important lines of the PunBB source it would be nice if you can show me where.

Re: Spoiler Tags

If you can settle on just having it in a different color or a simpler layout, you can get away with far less code changes.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

oh, mighty leader shows some code then and prove the self smile

Im Jacks Broken Heart

Pardon the bump on an ancient thread, but does anyone have the equivalent mod for punBB 1.2?

I have seen something like this on a different forum once and considered it to be very cool and useful.

The tags were [spoiler] and [/spoiler] and the effect was that a box was created which was like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Click here to read the spoiler text.                                |

and if you clicked it was like:

| Click here to read the spoiler text.                                |
| Spiderman has a coming out and dies shortly after.                  |
| :(                                                                  |

Can anyone do this?
Its "just" a hidden <div> but im too stoopid to do it myself.
I'd love to see this!

One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
~ Will Durant (1885 - 1981)

OP: instead of using a table cell for something that isn't tabular data, you can probably get away with something like this:
<span class="spoiler" onmouseover="this.style.color='#FFFFFF';" onmouseout="this.style.color=this.style.backgroundColor='#000000'">Agent Smith bites off Neo's Finger and falls into The Matrix</span>
CSS:
.spoiler {COLOR: black; TEXT-DECORATION: none; background-color: black; font-weight: normal;}

7 (edited by Argyle 2005-01-30 09:01)

The output i have seen was:

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
  <tr>
    <td>
      <b>Spoiler:</b></font>
    </td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>
      <div style="padding:3px; border:black 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR:#4C6575; color:#000000;">
        <div onClick="openclose('spoiler-316751-0')"><font face="verdana, tahoma, arial, helvetica" size="1"><b>Click here toshow and hide the spoiler text.</b></font></div>
        <div id="spoiler-316751-0" style="display:none; padding-top:10px; margin-top:3px; border-top:1px solid black;">bla bla               bla bla bla bla
           bla bla bla bla bla bla
           bla bla bla bla bla bla
           bla bla bla bla bla bla
         </div>
      </div>    
    </td>
  </tr>
</table>

Yes in this case it was a table. But i think it can be done without a table as well.
It looks just like a quote or code box for example.

One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
~ Will Durant (1885 - 1981)