Topic: [request] hide online status

the ability for a user to hide his or her online status would be nice. sometimes you dont want people noticing that you're online. =\

Re: [request] hide online status

Or like in MSN  etc   AWAY, INVISIBLE, OUT FOR LUNCH, BUSY, ONLINE

add Mood

big_smile

might as well do it properly - if someone does it as an extension. Even though; as it's css controlled - might be bit tricky. Would be another of those things best implemented with ajax json or whats-it 2.0 web improvements to look trendy.

idk about all that im just talking about my name not appearing as Online even though im logged in, alot of other popular bb software (such as phpbb) already have this feature in their core anyways, shouldnt be too hard.

4 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-09 00:28)

my point would just be :
if people are using a board that much to have that need, chances are some are going to think of their social networking hangouts and what they can do there. people (seem to ) love to personalise such things.

that's why thinking ahead i'd want the framwork to be there for such things....

in your specific case; yes. simple feature. simple wish. do-able....

5 (edited by User33 2009-01-09 01:25)

rahahm33 wrote:

alot of other popular bb software (such as phpbb) already have this feature in their core anyways, shouldnt be too hard.

Do you think the devs didn't make that feature because it's too hard? I think you and many other people are forgetting what PunBB really is. Yet again, I quote the mighty About Page:

About Page wrote:
What is PunBB?

PunBB is a fast and lightweight PHP-powered discussion board. It is released under the GNU General Public License. Its primary goals are to be faster, smaller and less graphically intensive as compared to other discussion boards. PunBB has fewer features than many other discussion boards, but is generally faster and outputs smaller, semantically correct XHTML-compliant pages.

6 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-09 06:55)

@garciat: BUT, the sourcecode should allow for easy implementation of such requests to pro devs of extensions like yourselves...

it's no good telling people all the time that their wishes are unreasonable or that they can go elsewhere if they want those features.... (i think)

i mean; compare downloads, users etc of phpbb to punbb ?
Who is online right now at phpbb:
In total there are 987 users online :: 77 registered, 2 hidden and 908 guests (based on users active over the past 30 minutes)
Most users ever online was 8680 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:28 am   

compare that to punbb right now

*  Total number of registered users: 12,145
    * Total number of topics: 18,175
    * Total number of posts: 119,219

Currently online ( 31 guests, 1 registered user )

now: you and I should both wonder why that is?

50-100x or 200x more popular = phpbb ?  in market share terms that is smaller than apple ever was vs pcs smile or it's like comparing no of user that access my website with IE or FF with those accessing it with a nokia browser big_smile
if you're making extensions - shouldnt you be interested in making something that is used?

I AGREE ON FAST etc
but such metrics can be tested on querytimes etc -

there's got to be a middle way between the two?

KeyDog wrote:

there's got to be a middle way between the two?

There is. It's called extensions.
If there is a feature you want, write an extension (or request one) and you can then fill your forum up with as many extensions as you like.

A user friendly answer to the inital post might have been
While some devs think that should not be in core,
a. Extension Dev XYZ  can do it in [required time] for [required price/fee] (if applicable)
b. It will get put on our feature request list and be reviewed for 1.3.3. You will know by [date] if we decide to add it.
c. If [no of users] want this  Extension Dev XYZ will make it @ [price/user]

smile

That kind of response is needed IMHO

Nice discussion wink
In my opinion users should be able to add as many extensions as they want smile It's their choice.
But there should be some new extension section. Now we have: Official extensions and Unofficial extensions. There should be something between: Approved extensions, where only aprooved by PunBB developers extensions can be listed.

Back to subject

rahahm33 wrote:

the ability for a user to hide his or her online status would be nice. sometimes you dont want people noticing that you're online. =\

I made similar modification in 1.2.x and I'll do same in 1.3.x.
My version was only for administrators/moderators, but it can be selectable through admin panel. In my plans normal user will be unable to posting while hidden (just read) and he/she will be unable to change visibility often than every half hour. Moderators/administrators (only!) will see hidden users as gray(css) in online list.

YonasH's repository + Extensions Directory = PunBB Extensions Online Library (in progress....)

Away. I will be back soon.

yonash wrote:

In my opinion users should be able to add as many extensions as they want  It's their choice.
But there should be some new extension section. Now we have: Official extensions and Unofficial extensions. There should be something between: Approved extensions, where only aprooved by PunBB developers extensions can be listed.

Agreed!

11 (edited by jamesturner125 2010-06-07 23:16)

Right. That way no one can mess around online pokies