Topic: [Request] Ads Management

I cant believe no one made it yet.

i mean, its a very important extension.

may it include these features:

Turning on/off ads
Turn off for admin and/or moderators (users Groups)
Custom ad code... So can be used for anything not just google
Ad position - viewtopic.php after first post
Ad position - all pages below main menu (switch for noone/guests/members)
Ad position - all pages above footer box (switch for noone/guests/members)
Ad position - Between Categories(switch for noone/guests/members)

any one have others position. please post.

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Re: [Request] Ads Management

hear hear, second that smile

3 (edited by nahid1203 2009-01-13 14:14)

Ow great. What about ads being appear right after every post? And does this support bidvertiser too? We will be waiting for the extension. I have started counting 3...2...1... big_smile You know what I need now.

ads after first post are included in the list, and i am not a coder, so its a extension request not release, so if some one step up to make it, it would be great.

i have located 1.2 ads after first post at punres, might help the developer, http://www.punres.org/files.php?pid=80.

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Sorry. I didn't know. But the developers will make it soon I think. big_smile

Sorry, but I don't support ads.

i'm no friend of annoying ads.
but think:
i have a website i have punbb as base url of.
now i may want to promote software or code extensions you or anyone else has created.

sometimes people will have this need. by attracting users admins who do ads you're enlarging the userbase and ultimately enlarging the community and speed of responses and coding.

just assume that the forum owner wants to PROMOTE other aspects of his site - might even be non-commercial - so information.

why do you want to stop him doing that easily?

+1 to the ad's option. Fast Hosting isn't free ! Besides it helps covers the cost of research and advertising done for the website.

Tasteful ad's running on the side perhaps, moving with the scrolls.

Garciat wrote:

Sorry, but I don't support ads.

Top man. Glad to see some sanity around. smile

Abbas wrote:

Tasteful ad's running on the side perhaps, moving with the scrolls.

There is no such thing as a tasteful advert. They are an annoyance at best.

people associate the word ad with bad things big_smile

call it : fancy notices - images and flash objects embedded across your site....

there's a market for the extension that is considerable

whoever makes it will probably benefit no end.... smile

KeyDog wrote:

people associate the word ad with bad things

call it : fancy notices - images and flash objects embedded across your site....

That second sentence is supposed to contradict the first sentence? You have an unusual idea of what's acceptable.

KeyDog wrote:

there's a market for the extension that is considerable

whoever makes it will probably benefit no end....

Benefit from it how, might one ask?

MattF wrote:

Benefit from it how, might one ask?

by pleasing many people. your karma level with skyrocket ;P

MattF wrote:

That second sentence is supposed to contradict the first sentence? You have an unusual idea of what's acceptable.

if unicef or wwf or greenpeace or XXX wants to run ads on my site. then what's bad about that? they are benefiting humanity... mostly

ads can be run at no cost - it's not about making money.

anyway the discussion isn't about should 100% of pun forums run ads - we're talking about extensions and if enough people want them they should all be able to say that they'd like such an extension.

no one said pun devs have to spend time on it - or you. but don't stand in the way of those that need/want it. my opinion.

KeyDog wrote:

if unicef or wwf or greenpeace or XXX wants to run ads on my site. then what's bad about that? they are benefiting humanity... mostly

ads can be run at no cost - it's not about making money.

anyway the discussion isn't about should 100% of pun forums run ads - we're talking about extensions and if enough people want them they should all be able to say that they'd like such an extension.

no one said pun devs have to spend time on it - or you. but don't stand in the way of those that need/want it. my opinion.

If you wish to keep a topic on path to discussing specifics of implementation and usability, then don't start romanticising on the subject, i.e:

KeyDog wrote:

sometimes people will have this need. by attracting users admins who do ads you're enlarging the userbase and ultimately enlarging the community and speed of responses and coding.

That is totally irrelevant to the point of a feature request. It's romanticising to try and justify your viewpoint. Nothing more. So, if you wish others to stay on subject, don't post claptrap. I've yet to see how an advertisement will improve the timeframe for completion of a job by any coders.

it's a post in EXTENSIONS saying in a polite way what is wanted regarding an ads management extension to those willing to code it.
if you can help on that front : post
if you can't : save space and don't waste their time

smile

KeyDog wrote:

if you can help on that front : post
if you can't : save space and don't waste their time

However, I'm momentarily bored and you're talking crap to justify your opinion. Btw, that quote above applies all ways. smile

17 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-13 21:42)

Back on topic:
I've seen certain boards just make a dummy user post every X posts with their ad or whatever...

I've thought about just adding it around the actual forum as I often see on commercial sites - doing it in the main.tpl (not for keydog - but for other forums I play with)

but I  guess many people interested in the aspect of ads would want it in pages?

what do other boards do?
http://www.freakitude.com/2007/02/22/ad … um-topics/
guess that's an example for the adsense thing - in that case for phpbb...

this also an interesting example of what could be done...
http://forumadmanager.com/adlocation.htm
http://www.forumadmanagerreview.com/read_more/go.html

18 (edited by MattF 2009-01-13 22:16)

That's better. smile At the end of the day, for a standard information box, (or whatever other use it may find), all that's needed is some container which can have raw HTML entered into it. The options are then open as to exactly what it is used for. Unless the specific requirement is, for example, it to appear after the first post only in the display, any other page placement can be accomodated by CSS and template placement.

I would be willing to start developing something like this (and other requested extensions) However, On the Wiki it says that Punbb dont provide support for third party extensions, However (though I disagree with it allot) Am i classed as a community extension developer smile Who knows.

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Well, if you're making it, it's not 3rd party, right? Because you're part of the dev team.

21 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-14 00:48)

@utchin: do it in small steps though so that you can output something in 72 hours big_smile
like an extension which  allows a block to be displayed below or above footer... something simple where admin can then post whatever thing he has to post.....

then grow it... based on feedback and useability?

just an idea...

EDIT: that would also solve my issue with the smilies creator I've been chatting to... if I can tell him : look with that and that smilie set extension we can bundle a second block of code just above footer with a link to your site - he'll be more willing to provide content.... result: more content will come pun's users way fast.

Shan't we think of one thing? Websites these days are not taken as just a showpiece. People who make websites think about earning money too. And everybody knows how sweet the taste of money is. So don't just think about the annoyance. Rather think how to make that extension. You might not use but many of us will be happy to see that running.

There is already an extension of advertising forum for the version 1.3? Unfortunately I did not find any.

nahid1203 wrote:

Shan't we think of one thing? Websites these days are not taken as just a showpiece. People who make websites think about earning money too. And everybody knows how sweet the taste of money is. So don't just think about the annoyance. Rather think how to make that extension. You might not use but many of us will be happy to see that running.

Very right..
Someone do thing like this ?
Some ad blocks only on index for example..

PunBB Bulgaria - soon
Bulgarian Lang for all versions - soon
Developers, please contact with me skype Linn3x for info