Topic: Members are quitting my forum over the "can't log in" bug

i've tried a few things now but this issue is costing me visitors and members. They are so fed with no being logged in properly that they are going elsewhere.

Here is a comment this morning from one of my members

Every time I log on to catch up on the threads and I want to add a comment  I have to login again.   mad  Aah I get so fed up I don't bother in the end. sad Is there a way to stop this? neutral

This is the second time I've tried to do this comment.

They are ticking the "remember me" box. That isn't the issue.
The users are at http://www.forumurl.com as opposed to http://forumurl.com (thanks to Garciat for fixing this).

This must be a bug.
I end up telling members to install opera or google chrome to get over the problem as it only seems to affect internet explorer and firefox. But installing a different browser cannot be the answer.

I'm really loving 1.3. It's making everything so easy to moderate BUT the logging in issue is causing lots of unhappy users.

Re: Members are quitting my forum over the "can't log in" bug

Are your files modded in any way?

Hmmm. Not really. Only really just the main.tpl moving something things around.
But other people have posted here with the same problem. So I'm not sure it would be that.

I'll install all the browsers I can find on a virtual machine on VMware and test each one of them.

I noticed on your forum, that some are not suffering from the problem. I would ask them what their setup is, try and nut it out from there I guess.

Cheers Garciat.
People are struggling so far with Firefox and (I'm assuming) Internet Explorer.
No reports of problems with Opera or Chrome yet.

7 (edited by The_Fiddler 2009-01-17 15:42)

I just realised. I am using IE and for all pun 1.3's (+flux) I have remember me ticked and I stay logged in. I am wondering could it be an extension your using that isn't in use on other 1.3's. These seem to be the only ones your using that aren't being used here.

post_edit_grace_period, favorite_topic, hide_topic

I am wondering is it one of these casuing the issue.

8 (edited by User33 2009-01-17 16:13)

Bad news: VMware Workstation isn't setting the network properly on Windows 7.