Topic: Converter: InvPB2 -> PunBB1 b3

I've uploaded a public beta to PunRes. Would be happy if people could test it for me. Only use this to help me make the converter! If there's some bugs, I won't help anyone by making a fix for an already converted forum.

Not being able to login into PunBB after the converter is done is not a bug. It's just not possible to convert the passwords beqause InvPB and PunBB handles tha passwords differently, like this:

InvPB:
$hash = md5( md5( $salt ) . md5( $password ) );

PunBB:
$hash = md5( $password );

Read this thread for more info about the password-problem.

Note: BACKUP your database before using it!

Re: Converter: InvPB2 -> PunBB1 b3

InvPB2-PunBB1_beta1.rar

Could you propose the same archive but compressed with a free compression format, or at least with zip ? (I can't use it by now, I don't have WinRAR)

z0rglub wrote:

InvPB2-PunBB1_beta1.rar

Could you propose the same archive but compressed with a free compression format, or at least with zip ? (I can't use it by now, I don't have WinRAR)

Done!

4 (edited by z0rglub 2004-04-16 19:39)

OK, let's do the test now :-)

It seems I have to first migrate from IPB 1.1.2 to IPB 2 :-(

z0rglub wrote:

It seems I have to first migrate from IPB 1.1.2 to IPB 2 :-(

Yes. Seems pointless to make a converter from an old version of IPB... they've probably changed alot in the database between the versions.

:-/ Even after searching, I don't know how to migrate from my IPB 1.1 to 2.0 !

I think I'll simply debug phpBB to punBB converter...

z0rglub wrote:

:-/ Even after searching, I don't know how to migrate from my IPB 1.1 to 2.0 !

phpBB?

I thought they shipped an updater with their install package... I'll look closer at it.

Edit: Found some info in a topic at the IPB forum:

There will be an upgrade script for 1.3 to 2.0 when version 2 reaches a stable release.

(Matt @ Apr 16 2004, 12:49 PM) wrote:

We've almost completed IPB 2.0.0 PDR and we should be ready for a release early next week.

They seems to release v.2.0.0 soon (It's only "Public Development Release" now), and then you can convert to v2.0.

Chacmool wrote:
z0rglub wrote:

phpBB?

Yes... the converter from IPB 1.1 to phpBB 2.0.x exists and is easy to use. Once I have phpBB 2.0 database, I use phpBB to punBB converter (see problems I encountered in Converter: PhpBB2 -> PunBB1.1 topic)

z0rglub wrote:
Chacmool wrote:
z0rglub wrote:

phpBB?

Yes... the converter from IPB 1.1 to phpBB 2.0.x exists and is easy to use. Once I have phpBB 2.0 database, I use phpBB to punBB converter (see problems I encountered in Converter: PhpBB2 -> PunBB1.1 topic)

Oh, nice solution! It should work fine yes :)

Edit: I've missed your huge post, I'll look at it right away. Rewriting some parts of the PhpBB->PunBB converter (found much better solutions for a converter when I made the IPB -> PunBB-converter :)).

Edit2: Done with the other converter... see it's topic for more information-

New release out... made some minor changes. The converter now adds a lock-file to prevent users from running it again if the admin forgets to remove the files.

Will the password conversion problem ever be solved? Or is it impossible?

Andy wrote:

Will the password conversion problem ever be solved? Or is it impossible?

It is impossible.

Is it better to write a mod than having all users get a new password (through the "I forgot my password"-feauture)? (It's times like this I miss a poll-system...)

There's a problem with the installer if you don't have PunPoll installed. Cange line 20 in _start.php to:

@$db->query($sql);

I'm uploading a new ver to punres when it's up again.

14 (edited by Aleksei 2004-08-04 10:53)

InvPB2-PunBB1_beta5.zip says

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to save to table: topics.
Notice: Use of undefined constant db - assumed 'db' in z:\home\localhost\www\forum\include\functions.php on line 770

at  http://localhost/forum/conv/index.php?page=4
on punbb 1.1.5

Aleksei wrote:

InvPB2-PunBB1_beta5.zip says

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to save to table: topics.
Notice: Use of undefined constant db - assumed 'db' in z:\home\localhost\www\forum\include\functions.php on line 770

at  http://localhost/forum/conv/index.php?page=4
on punbb 1.1.5

Odd. I've never got that error. It's only a notice, so it should work anyway. You don't got anymore error-message?

Rickard: Might the notice depend on any missing ' in the variable maybe?

if ($db_error)
        $GLOBALS[db]->close();

Yes, that's the problem. It's fixed in 1.2. However, that's not the problem aleksei is experiencing. The notice is actually an error message in the error handling function :) He'll have to enable DEBUG mode and try again.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

17 (edited by Aleksei 2004-08-07 10:52)

Rickard, after enabling DEBUG mode it look`s like :

An error was encountered
File: z:\home\localhost\www\forum\conv\_topics.php
Line: 32

PunBB reported: Unable to save to table: topics
Database reported: You have an error in your SQL syntax near ' 'Farch', 0, '4' )' at line 10 (Errno: 1064)

i apologize that`s the problem with my ipb database...

18 (edited by ristuart 2004-08-07 11:37)

Am I correct in thinking that the password hashes from IPB 1.x would be compatible with PunBB?

If so, a good solution for those converting from IPB 1.x to PunBB via the IPB 2 upgrade could be to grab the password hashes before upgrading to IPB 2, and drop them back into PunBB after the conversion. I think that'd work?

Richard

Yes, if IPB 1.x only hashes the password, and no salt