Topic: Should i go for 1.2, since the plugin architecture was changed?

I am planning to install a forum, but its important for me that the backup facilities are easy, as i might need to take this forum up and down a couple of times.
It seems to me that the Database Management plugin only works for 1.2.x , since the plugin/extension structure has changed with v 1.3.x .
Should in install a 1.2 version forum in order to get the best backup possibilities? Will it be complicated to migrate a working forum from 1.2 to 1.3 if i wish to upgrade in the future?

Re: Should i go for 1.2, since the plugin architecture was changed?

Just do a db dump via your normal SQL admin utility.

MattF wrote:

Just do a db dump via your normal SQL admin utility.

The thing is, i dont have any other db admin utilities than the mysql prompt, which i used to set the forum up. And i don't have much sql experience...  which is why  i thought it would be practical with a graphical backup+restore solution.
I also don't want to rely on other utilities. I want a complete portable solution for a forum.

4 (edited by MattF 2009-03-06 16:11)

If you have access to the mysql command, then you should also have the mysqldump command available. There is no more portable and cross-platform a method than MySQL's own utilities.

mysqldump [database_name] > [output_filename]

someone is using a share hosting so they didn't have permission run mysql command