Topic: Graphics not working?

I installed 1.3.2 yesterday, made sure BBCode is enabled, made sure "convert smilies to icons" is enabled, installed the BBCode Buttons extension... and still there are no smilies smiling at me from the message post screen.  Instead the menu between the subject line and the message body shows the raw BBcode text for formatting, and the ASCII representations for each smiley.

When the message is posted, the text markup works OK but instead of actual smileys I get words to represent them - colon dash parenthesis becomes the word "smile", for example.

I read on another thread that you need to install some patches for an improved smiley system, so I downloaded and installed changeset_1002 as well as the most recent 1122. That gave me more extensions to install, so I had it install Post Approval and Garciat's Smileys extension.  Still no change.  I do have full access to the img/ folder, and my (firefox) browser does allow scripting for my own site.

In addition, avatars are not appearing.  Again, the options are enabled in the admin screen, and it lets me upload an avatar.  In fact, the img/avatars folder contains 3.jpg for my user (ID=3), so the upload is successful.  Under "Current Avatar" it changes from "No avatar" to "Delete avatar to cease displaying"... but there is nothing to delete, just that text.  Nothing appears under the user name by each post or in the user's profile.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong, or do y'all need more information about my setup?

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Re: Graphics not working?

Does your Firefox display images for other sites? You can also try using another browser.

Slavok wrote:

Does your Firefox display images for other sites? You can also try using another browser.

Interesting question.  The problem occurs with another workstation using IE6 on Windows XP, but the problem does NOT occur on other sites.  Here, for example, the smiley menu appears correctly and smileys I insert into my message appear correctly.  hmm

It's also not limited to punbb.  I gave up and installed phpbb instead, and the *same problem* occurs.  But wait, there's more.  In IE6, the smiley icons appear as "unavailable image" placeholders, as does the banner logo image, so I right-clicked the placeholder to find out the URL of the image.  Then I pasted the image URL directly in the browser address bar, and the image displayed fine.  And after I did that, the image - and only that one image - was available in the smiley menu, and appeared correctly in my posts.

Since it's not punbb specifically, and it's not one specific PC or browser brand, and the problem only occurs on BBSes on my domain host, something funky must be going on with my domain host and I need to contact their tech support to fix it for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I should have thought of trying a different PC/browser myself!

Peter B. Steiger
Laramie, WY

This sounds very much like you use some kind of advertisment blocker, which identifies the smilies as advertisments (by their size, probably).