1 (edited by BrettJackson 2009-04-09 18:32)

Topic: [Release] Capture referral source on registration

It is important for us to know where our new members are coming from, so we have created a new extension to allow members to pick a referral source from a drop down list when they register.

You define the contents of the list in the Administration > Settings > Features page. Referral sources can optionally be tagged to ask the member for more information, e.g. "Other..." will ask them to provide more information.

To read more and download the software click the following link:
punBB Extension - referral sources

I have tried to keep the solution as simple as possible. I hope it is of some use to you smile

Used PunBB on following websites so far: www.EquiPortal.co.uk & www.iAmLucidDreaming.com

Re: [Release] Capture referral source on registration

Nice work! Thanks.
Added to the database of extensions

oh and keydog, dont forget to add my style too, http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … h-10-beta/

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

SuperMAG wrote:

oh and keydog, dont forget to add my style too, http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … h-10-beta/

Keeping with the topic I see?

ops sorry big_smile

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

nice work

When submitting information in the administrator section (i.e. updating settings in "Settings < Setup")

I get an error:

Notice: Undefined index: cws_sources in /home/*/public_html/admin/settings.php(250) : eval()'d code on line 10

Stormeh wrote:

When submitting information in the administrator section (i.e. updating settings in "Settings < Setup")

I get an error:

Notice: Undefined index: cws_sources in /home/*/public_html/admin/settings.php(250) : eval()'d code on line 10

Thanks for letting me know. I have reproduced the problem so will take a look now.

Used PunBB on following websites so far: www.EquiPortal.co.uk & www.iAmLucidDreaming.com

The problem reported by Stormeh should now be fixed. I have created a new version and updated my info pages mentioned in the original post to point to it.

Download version 1.1.1 here

Stormeh, please let me know if it works out OK for you. It would be good to here that someone is making use of the extension.

This doesn't seem to work for me
In admin I'm using

+some text
+some other text
+other...

but the registration form doesn't list any options in the dropdown list apart from the default "select"

esupergood wrote:

This doesn't seem to work for me
In admin I'm using

+some text
+some other text
+other...

but the registration form doesn't list any options in the dropdown list apart from the default "select"

The "+" prefix indicates that the text is a group name. This renders a <OPTGROUP> tag in HTML. Your browser will only show a group name if the group has some content. You have defined three groups but none have any content. So try:

+Group 1
Option 1 in group 1
Option 2 in group 1
+Group 2
Option 1 in group 2
Option 2 in group 2
Option 3 in group 2 ask for more...

Also note that you only use the "..." after an option rather than a group name. I hope that helps. I know its not straight forward but I just wanted to keep the admin code to a minimum smile

12 (edited by BrettJackson 2009-05-14 15:54)

esupergood, also note that you don't have to use groups. If you just want three options with the last asking for more details enter:

some text
some other text
other...

i.e. without the + prefixes.

@Brett

Works a charm now, thanks.

Thanks it works now.
I've just created a test account but can't see where I can see what option the user chose?

thanks smile
ESG

esupergood wrote:

Thanks it works now.
I've just created a test account but can't see where I can see what option the user chose?

thanks smile
ESG

The extension does not include any reports, but you can extract the required information directly from your database using  tools such as phpMyAdmin. Here is an example to extract details for May 2009

select FROM_UNIXTIME(u.registered) Registered, u.username, l.source, l.source_info from forum_users u, forum_referral_log l where u.id = l.user_id and year(date(FROM_UNIXTIME(u.registered))) = 2009 and month(date(FROM_UNIXTIME(u.registered))) = 5

Your intitial post needs more details such as:

1. More detailed instructions on how to set it up
2. More detailed instructions on how to acually parse or use the results

smile

As I don't know how to work with databases this extension is of no use to me. If you can add a front end to it then I'd love to keep using it.

Thanks for your efforts.
smile
ESG

My original post links to a page that answers all your questions including an explanation that the results are to be extracted via SQL and a sample configuration that should be a good starting point for anyone.

I agree it would be better if a report was included. If I get some spare time I will do something about it and let you know.

Thanks for the feedback.

My mistake regarding the lack of info. Sorry about that.
Reporting is essential for this extension to become popular (in my opinion)

smile

The idea of the plugin is great but just as esupergood suggested, it would be great to see what the user chose in the administration back end. I installed the plugin and I'm using SQlite as database, how would I extract the info to see the referral sources?