1 (edited by Grant 2009-04-18 19:17)

Topic: PunBB on my Laptop

Grant's Server Support Forum - This is the support forum for a server I run on my laptop at home. It connects via wireless to a 384 kbps ADSL line so the connection is slow and the site is only up when I'm online. Still, PunBB runs fairly well...

The internet connection I'm using is a lot cheaper per gigabyte because it is only supposed to provide access to local (South African) websites. I have, however, received reports that people from other countries are also able to access my site. Please check it out, and let me know if you can:

http://isp23976.dns.openweb.co.za/

Edit: URL change

Re: PunBB on my Laptop

I can see it

Cool smile

How long does it take to load?

3 or 4 seconds. I'm in the UK

Hey that's great. That's not much longer than this site takes here in SA. Gotta love PunBB!

Wait a sec. I just got a new IP and it looks like the local cap has kicked in. I don't think you will be able to access it now. Please let me know. smile

Grant wrote:

I don't think you will be able to access it now.

Yes, you are absolutely right smile

8 (edited by Grant 2009-04-17 17:12)

No, sorry. That's a problem with the Dynamic DNS. I'm updating it manually now. sad

Anyone know of a Dynamic DNS client that will detect and send the IP from another connection and not the one  through which it is connecting to the DNS Server?

Grant wrote:

No, sorry. That's a problem with the Dynamic DNS. I'm updating it manually now. sad

Anyone know of a Dynamic DNS client that will detect and send the IP from another connection and not the one  through which it is connecting to the DNS Server?

You need to set up a port forward on your router to forward port 80, (or whichever port you are using), to the internal machine. Sending the I.P address of the internal machine would be useless, in most cases, as it will be an internal I.P which is being NAT'ted on the firewall/router.

If you are referring to a totally separate connection, then you can use an update client for most of the dynamic DNS services, to update the I.P periodically, or when it changes.

No MattF, that not what I'm referring to. Sorry, I should have been clearer:

I have two internet connections. One that can access only local (South African) sites and one that can access international sites as well. I want to update an international dynamic DNS server with the local only IP address. I cannot connect to the DNS server through the local only IP address.

Currently the dynamic DNS client connects through the international IP and updates with that address. But the port forwarding that you are referring to, I deliberately did not set up on that IP because I'm paying much more for bandwidth used through that connection.

Here in SA were are seriously starved of bandwidth. International traffic costs about 10 times more than local.

Currently the dynamic DNS client connects through the international IP and updates with that address. But the port forwarding that you are referring to, I deliberately did not set up on that IP because I'm paying much more for bandwidth used through that connection.

Can you connect through, from your local machine, to that other server/client on the international I.P without getting shafted for connection charges?

Yeah sure! I just did it now, manually. Opened the web page and typed in my IP. I don't mind paying for the couple of KB use to load the webpage or that an update client uses. But my server is for file sharing, and the international bandwidth is way too expensive for that.

BTW - It seems I get a gig of free international bandwidth at the beginning of each month on that connection. smile

Depending upon what O.S you are running on the machines, set up cron jobs/batch files to connect and update through the remote machine.

Which remote machine? This is all on my laptop, connecting using PPPoE.

I'm running WinXP Home.

Ha, found out my ISP offers something called "Static DNS", here's the new URL:

http://isp23976.dns.openweb.co.za/

This works much better as it doesn't use a silly client. big_smile

The site is safe and sound according to me smile..it is taking just 5 seconds to load here big_smile