Topic: Migrate from PunBB?

Hello, I set up my forum with PunBB, it works ok no complaints, but it is really just too light, Im after more features and have used SMF in the past.

I want to migrate the forum from the PunBB software to a more feature rich one, such as smf, or some other such as phpbb2 or 3. How difficult is this? I dont want to lose my posts and members.

Malc.

Re: Migrate from PunBB?

Tough question eh? sad
Maybe mods would be the answer if this migration cannot be done?

There are no official migration tools.

You could manually do such a conversion after studying the database tables structure if you are familiar with SQL.

Parpalak wrote:

There are no official migration tools.

You could manually do such a conversion after studying the database tables structure if you are familiar with SQL.

Well, thanks for the reply. I have very little clue of SQL. This forum right here is very nice, I presume that it's PunBB? But it's a lot better than mine, there is smillies and img, url and some formatting available for instance. Mine is sparse and all BBCode, ect must be hand done, why is this? Can my forum be made like this one?

Malc.

Activate the pun_bbcode extension in the administration.

pepak wrote:

Activate the pun_bbcode extension in the administration.

hello, how do I do this? Ive looked in my administration but I cannot find it anywhere?

Administration -> Extensions. Or whatever - I am using a translated version of PunBB.

This article should help you

9 (edited by malc 2009-04-17 11:21)

The article seemed easy enough to understand Slavok, but the dir's it mentioned, I simply have not got.

Im on a server called 110mb.com and the control panel I have is Z Panel, maybe it's not giving full editing access? There must be something fundamental, this is surely not rocket science!

In my admin panel on the forum, I cannot even upgrade, if I try I get this: Unable to check for upgrade since 'allow_url_fopen' is disabled on this system.

These are the only directories I have for PunBB in my Z-Panel on the server, the version is: PunBB 1.2.15

cache
docs
extras
img
include
lang
plugins
style

malc wrote:

the version is: PunBB 1.2.15

This forum runs PunBB version 1.3. You can upgrade your forum. Instructions: http://punbb.informer.com/wiki/punbb13/installation

Do not forget to make a database backup (actually you have to make a DB backup since some users have encountered some issues of the upgrade script). If you have installed mods for PunBB 1.2 they will stop working.