1 (edited by TFD 2007-10-23 19:43)

Topic: max user connections

this is set by the host correct? I get this error

Unable to connect to MySQL server. MySQL reported: User xxxxxx has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections.

Re: max user connections

Contact your host, either you're running something that makes a new connection every 2 lines of code, or they're messing with the server.

3 (edited by TFD 2007-10-23 20:18)

last night they said the queiries were taking like 4 times as long as usual and that my scripting was messed up. How can I check this out? My host is telling me the shared plan is not enough and I need to switch to VPS and Im running a text only message board with 70-80 people on. They do use it a lot, almost like a chat so there are a lot of refreshes. Doesnt seem like thats a lot. Is it? how can I check whats wrong?

4 (edited by TFD 2007-10-23 20:01)

elbekko wrote:

Contact your host, either you're running something that makes a new connection every 2 lines of code, or they're messing with the server.

oh, they turned on a program to log my database usage. Would that cause it?

That could very well be.

And the problem they addressed you about:
Which mods do you have installed?

6 (edited by TFD 2007-10-23 20:18)

electra profile mod
easy poll

I also changed this

login box
removed the views column

Hrmm, those shouldn't cause problems.

I have no reference to know if 70 people on and posting at once is a big load for mysql or this message board software or shared hosting so Im having a hard time deciding what to do.

It shouldn't be. PunBB-Hosting used to be on shared hosting for quite a while with a whole lot of concurrent connections, so it shouldn't be a problem.

ok. Thanks. I'll see what they come up with.

I have the same problem. The only thing I did last night was upgrade from Punbb 1.2.20 to 1.2.21.

Here is the response my hosting provided:

On our new platform the MySQL concurrent connection is 10 at a time, so you are receiving the error message ‘max_user_connections’. Hence, I suggest you to restrict the limit to less than 10 at a time by editing your script it will fix the issue.

Can someone please tell me what should I do concretely? (step by step)

Thanks a lot.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

on the moment you have this log in into a mysql shell and do the

SHOW PROCESSLIST;

command and output the data here, then we can see what the server is really doing at that time ...

~Cereal
I've finally learned what "upward compatible" means. It means we get to keep all our old mistakes.
The limits of language are the limits of one's world.

Actually, the forum doesn't show the error message right now. I found out about it in the morning, and 30 minutes later, it was gone. But it sure will occur again since nothing is done to fix it.

Would it still help to run that command?

well it would be good to ahve the output of both commands,

when its not occuring and when its ocuring

~Cereal
I've finally learned what "upward compatible" means. It means we get to keep all our old mistakes.

I may do it now as the error is not occurring right now... But honestly, I don't know exactly how to "log into a mysql shell".
(php, mysql, ... -illetrate)

you can run this in phpmyadmin to

just hit sql and then past the comand

~Cereal

It just gives one table with 1 row. Makes sense?

could be on a verry calm moment

on a bussy moment (when you have the problem) it should be a lot more

~Cereal

I will try to check it on a busy moment. I was just wondering if I should change anything, but apparently not?

Some useful info:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/ … tions.html

The note about setting the crawl-delay in robots.txt may be particularly handy, if the bump in connections is caused by search bots hammering you.

The note about adding the 'php_value mysql.connect_timeout 20' line into your .htaccess for the forum might also do some good.

Thank you sirena.
I'll wait to see if the problem occurs again before trying your tips.

Hello i have The same problem which " Max User Connections" i use Punbb 1.2 Version if i upgrade to the new version will i have still that problem ???
I have contact The server the told me that,

MySQL only allows 15 simultaneous connections. The account holder will need to modify the script so that it closes its previous connections after it uses them. There isn't a way to increase that limit.

That is the Error image,
I dont know what that mean what i need to do
http://www.webchinupload.com/O72d4/968872395Capture.JPG

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/ … tions.html

What need i do to ?? if i upgrade to the new version 1.4 will i have still that problem ??

No, but you should update.
To fix this problem, contact with your hosting, and if it is possible change it to something bigger (ex. VPS).