1 (edited by m4rk0 2009-05-30 17:07)

Topic: IP restrictions

Hello,

Can You add restrictions per IP class/range to specified forums?

Re: IP restrictions

that is an good idea

mmm i was looking for ip user detection thing, to see if one user have mutiple accounts. i mean some people make 10 accounts.

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

SuperMAG wrote:

mmm i was looking for ip user detection thing, to see if one user have mutiple accounts. i mean some people make 10 accounts.

Unless they are on a static I.P, I.P address detection methods to prevent multiple registrations, (or for most other scenarios, for that matter), will be a complete waste of time. Unless one has strict control of whom connects and how, I.P methods are fairly useless. An I.P can change in the blink of an eye.

mmm ok, so there is no way possible to detect who has multiple.

and will that method can detect the people who have static ip.

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

My primary idea was that when I use punbb on my ISP website, I want that only specified IP class /24 or something like that have access to some let's say "Admin Notifications" forum... Other IPs can't see that forum... Etc...

You could add an IP-checking function to the start of every file in /admin, either by direct editing or (better) through an extension. All files that I checked have a hook right at the beginning (e.g. afo_start for /admin/forums.php). You could check if $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] satisfies your rules and if not, end with

message('Administration denied from your IP address');

The same could be done for other files, with the right check. The principle is always the same:

1) Find the file which you want to modify
2) Find the appropriate hook
3) Modify that hook in your extension

pepak wrote:

You could add an IP-checking function to the start of every file in /admin, either by direct editing or (better) through an extension.

That check could also be done simply in the common file which is always included by every admin file.

I don't want to restrict access to whole forum, just to few specified categories on my forum...

m4rk0 wrote:

My primary idea was that when I use punbb on my ISP website, I want that only specified IP class /24 or something like that have access to some let's say "Admin Notifications" forum... Other IPs can't see that forum... Etc...

Probably simpler to just control that directly via the conventional user group permissions settings per forum that you can already set via the Pun control panel - ie 'make the Admin Notifications' forum only viewable by users who are members of the group 'ISP Users', not Guest users. Etc

sirena wrote:
m4rk0 wrote:

Probably simpler to just control that directly via the conventional user group permissions settings per forum that you can already set via the Pun control panel - ie 'make the Admin Notifications' forum only viewable by users who are members of the group 'ISP Users', not Guest users. Etc

It's almost impossible to control bunch of users old and new registred...