Topic: PunBB is Dead?

Slow theme release, slow extension and mod release, maybe the PunBB project is dead?

Re: PunBB is Dead?

big_smile can't say nothing,,,,,,,,,

it means that PunBB is good enough for most of ppl smile

thuankkk wrote:

it means that PunBB is good enough for most of ppl smile

Nah, that's why we are here smile

lol no comment

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

All I care about is bug/security fixes.

In Russia, a few sunny days.     Therefore, developers drink beer with girls, still warm cool

Sorry for my english :)

Wolverines wrote:

In Russia, a few sunny days.

Sure about all Russia? lol

fantasma wrote:

Slow theme release, slow extension and mod release, maybe the PunBB project is dead?

There is still a heartbeat, though it appears to be slowing down.

oh yes! maibe the problem is the community that not work for new themes, new extensions this is the problem. sad

I think the core problem is the extensions system itself. I mean the idea is nice, and the extensions a very convenient to install -- when there are extensions to choose from. But since there is no documentation/tutorials on writing extensions, the learning curve is steep enough to discourage most potential extention-writers.

Also, there is no documentation on the punbb engine, which doesn't help too. It even seems that developers don't know some fundamental things about it.

@8k84:

If you really are a developer, looking at the PHP should be enough - it's self-explanatory. I mean, PunBB doesn't use quantum physics to deliver posts to your browser.

Right, but the thing is that not everyone is a developer, and those who are usually do what is interesting to them, not to those who need something extra for the forum (no complaint here, just a fact).

Basically, your statement does not contradict what I said: learning curve is steep enough to discourage non-developers from writing extensions, and there are too few developers to provide a steady flow of new extensions.

It died a long time ago.

Garciat wrote:

@8k84:

If you really are a developer, looking at the PHP should be enough - it's self-explanatory. I mean, PunBB doesn't use quantum physics to deliver posts to your browser.

This statement shows that you dont have a clue what the PunBB community was before Informer come along and ruined a good thing.

StevenBullen wrote:

This statement shows that you dont have a clue what the PunBB community was before Informer come along and ruined a good thing.

That's the sad part, cause we had a really good thing in our hands.

The Cathedral and the Bazaar should be required reading for those prospective investors in Open Source projects.

StevenBullen wrote:

You are right, I don't.

8k84 wrote:

Basically, your statement does not contradict what I said: learning curve is steep enough to discourage non-developers from writing extensions, and there are too few developers to provide a steady flow of new extensions.

Exactly. You need some basic knowledge about PHP/MySQL. I don't really consider myself a developer as I have still much to learn and have never coded anything big, but I can build (almost) any kind of extension with relative ease. That's because I have taken the time to acquire the basic knowledge that is needed.

What I'm trying to say is that blaming it all on PunBB for the fact that building an extension is hard is just unfair.

17 (edited by 8k84 2009-07-09 22:12)

Since the need to acquire "some basic knowledge" of PHP/MySQL is the same for 1.2, and 1.2 got tremendous amount of mods, what you actually imply is that the punbb community (or part of it interested in 1.3) became dumber and/or lazier, correct?

8k84 wrote:

I think the core problem is the extensions system itself. [...] But since there is no documentation/tutorials on writing extensions, the learning curve is steep enough to discourage most potential extention-writers.

I am not so sure. There may not be enough extension-writing documentation around, but the whole process really is very straightforward and easy to understand - anyone familiar with PHP should be able to write his own simple extensions in a few minutes if he wants to. It would be a lot more difficult for people not familiar with PHP, but - and I will be brutally honest here - would you want to use an extension by someone who doesn't know enough to be able to prevent various exploits?

If there is a real problem, it's that the extensions are very difficult to debug. At the very least, the PUN_ADMIN_MANAGE_EXTENSIONS_IMPROVED should be strongly recommended to extension authors, if not left running by default.

I think pepak and I share the same idea.

8k84 wrote:

Since the need to acquire "some basic knowledge" of PHP/MySQL is the same for 1.2, and 1.2 got tremendous amount of mods, what you actually imply is that the punbb community (or part of it interested in 1.3) became dumber and/or lazier, correct?

No. I don't really know what happened when Informer Technologies acquired PunBB, but I've heard that some good developers and a good amount of people left because of this. This, I think, is why there's not a big amount of extensions.

example of community???? Wordpress Community, it's a very productivity community, for theme, plugin and mod and engine.

PunBB must be same Wordpress community. I quote 8k84