1 (edited by Bibby 2009-06-25 12:10)

Topic: Is it allowed to use/ship punbb css files in close-source software?

Hi, developers.

I like the default PunBB style (Oxyen), but is it allowed to use or ship Oxyen CSS files in a web-based close-source and commercial software? it's a web-based mail server management tool.

Thanks very much. smile

Re: Is it allowed to use/ship punbb css files in close-source software?

Can anybody answer me? smile

No, it is not. If you copy a piece of code of a product published under GPL, you must publish your software under GPL as well.

4 (edited by Bibby 2009-06-29 12:25)

Is it possible to buy a copy from developers and then ship it in my program? Please, i like it so much.

Slavok wrote:

No, it is not. If you copy a piece of code of a product published under GPL, you must publish your software under GPL as well.

Please refer to #9.

6 (edited by Bibby 2009-06-30 17:45)

hcgtv wrote:
Slavok wrote:

Please refer to #9.

It seems i only need to public these CSS files and modified (CSS) files under the same license with PunBB (GPL), but other code in my program is not required.

I can't ship punbb files in my program, so i must distribute my program alone without punbb files.
But i can modify punbb files and release them unde GPL, and tell my program users downloading modified files and use them.

Am i right?

Bibby wrote:

I can't ship punbb files in my program, so i must distribute my program alone without punbb files. But i can modify punbb files and release them unde GPL, and tell my program users downloading modified files and use them.

Am i right?

From my understanding of the license, as long as you distribute or provide the source for download, closed and open source code may reside together.

Is there any way to use these open source files in an close-source product?

Maybe i can't use them at all?

Bibby wrote:

It seems i only need to public these CSS files and modified (CSS) files under the same license with PunBB (GPL), but other code in my program is not required.

Yes, you are right. You can use Oxygen style as you posted above.

Slavok wrote:

And if i release them alone, and then downloading and use it in my program is allowed, right?

11 (edited by MattF 2009-07-02 13:07)

It's a minefield trying to understand the GPL. big_smile The rule of thumb which I work on these days is that if your code can work independently of the GPL code, then your code can be licenced under whatever licence you choose. If your code will not function without the GPL code, however, then your code also needs to be GPL.

It appears your situation falls under the former.

12 (edited by Bibby 2009-07-02 13:11)

Of course my program works without CSS files, but the UI is ugly tongue

13 (edited by MattF 2009-07-02 13:18)

Bibby wrote:

Of course my program works without CSS files, but the UI is ugly tongue

big_smile big_smile

I can't see any reason why the two licences can't happily co-exist in your specific situation. Just make sure all copyright info stays intact on the PunBB files and you should be fine.

You could always e-mail the FSF to double check, if you wanted to make certain. They are usually very helpful in answering questions which aren't specifically answered in their FAQ. Their answers can be somewhat vague in meaning, however. Interpretation of their rules can be rather broad, even when you get a specific response from them.

MattF wrote:

You could always e-mail the FSF to double check, if you wanted to make certain.

Speaking of a higher authority: http://wordpress.org/development/2009/0 … e-gpl-too/

hcgtv wrote:
MattF wrote:

You could always e-mail the FSF to double check, if you wanted to make certain.

Speaking of a higher authority: http://wordpress.org/development/2009/0 … e-gpl-too/

That part is not in any doubt. smile The functionality of the base system still exists without those GPL files though, (in this case), hence the differing licences shouldn't be problematic.