Topic: Nice - but...

Hi.

I was looking for a forum and then i found punbb, what was my surprise when i saw
that there is also a .NET version as i'm a .net developer( but i was looking for a lightweight
php forum). But in the first couple of minutes when i was browsing the beta code it turns out
that the code/project is coded not by the best patterns and practices that should be used
when programing an asp.net site - in other words the code works but the site is created in a
very very bad way. It seem like the code was written by a php programmer who has study
asp.net and knows it but there are some basic and fundamental differences in php and asp.net site
building( also in the live cycle of a website) and i do not only mean code but also good practices like
making a model - view - controller for the site( not in BETA!) or to not make connection to database in pages code behind files( sic!).

So i want only to say that i want to help to develop the .net version of punbb by providing
U with my support and contribution to the project, don't get me wrong it is good idea to make a .net
version and thanks for that but when i look at the code i see things that should never be done in the way they
are.

I don't know what to say more, i think i will wait for your opinion on my thoughts and then
i will start to writing here what U need to or should change to make the project more "asp.net compliant way".

Regards Andrew.

P.S. Sorry for my English it's not my native language, also sorry that sometime i can't exactly say what i mean
due to my language knowledge limitations.

Re: Nice - but...

your English is much better than many of my friends here in England.

esupergood wrote:

your English is much better than many of my friends here in England.

LoL, thats sad.

4 (edited by StevenBullen 2009-07-09 07:35)

Can someone from Informer comment on this? "in other words the code works but the site is created in a very very bad way. "

Either agree or disagree?

StevenBullen wrote:

Can someone from Informer comment on this? "in other words the code works but the site is created in a very very bad way. "

Either agree or disagree?

I agree sad

The only thing that makes it "nice" is it 98% looks like PunBB in PHP version.

All the rest is bad. it's worse than a guest book.

With SetCronJob.com you can create unlimited free cron jobs every 5 minutes :)

I love PunBB.net! but very many features missing as compared to the php counterpart: WYSIWYG editor, BBCode, Avatars..Smilies to name but a few.

Hello everyone!
Thank you for your posts. We were not able to answer you before. Sorry.
I agree with everything said here. It is true that punbb.net developers worked with php alot. And even now we have to write php scripts working on other projects. That's why we want you guys, who have a lot of  experience in asp.net development to help us in making PunBB.net better. All your opinions and complaints are valuable!

programista wrote:

i think i will wait for your opinion on my thoughts and then
i will start to writing here what U need to or should change to make the project more "asp.net compliant way".

It would be great! Please write about everything you think is important!

I don't have time now to make some changes, but at the end of september i will, i can say only that there will be ONLY mssql support ( maybe mysql, i think the query's are compatible), the installer page will be gone( i'm a experienced asp.net developer but i have problems to use the installer) instead there will be just a db script (like most asp.net devs do), the data access layer will be as a separate project (dll) - no more mixed presentation with data.
And that's my basic plan for first modifications and after that i will think again what to do next.

MySQL support is a must in my opinion.  Both databases should follow the SQL standard closely enough that the extra work should be minimal.  In addition, I'd say that the ability to run with medium trust on shared hosting is essential, so a separate dll won't work.  A separate class/module would be a reasonable way to separate the data access layer without requiring a dll.

I don't know why u think that separate dll (assembly) won't work as it WILL WORK at 100%. I think that if someone will use the .net version of PunBB he will have a ms sql database for sure and if it is asp.net then he even should use mssql instead of mysql, so for me mssql db has a priority but as i wrote earlier, query's are compatible with mysql so it can be run also on it.

Programista, your english is quite "perfect"..  big_smile:D