Topic: License issues

Hi,

Please could somebody clarify - is it possible that PunBB (1.2.11-1.2.20) has been released to somebody with non GPLv2 license?

So briefly I want to ask - if one server application uses modified PunBB (1.2.11 with partially applied patches to 1.2.20 or newer) - does it mean that it is originally PunBB with GPLv2? Or is it possible that it is 'private' (or commercial) version under other license, not GNU Public License?

I tried to investigate this question - and I do not see anything related to this issue, please take my apologies if I missed something.

Any link or an information will be very helpful.

Thank you.

2 (edited by Parpalak 2009-11-17 13:54)

Re: License issues

If this is a single installation on your server, you can do everything you want.

But if you want to distribute a software that includes PunBB code, you have to release it under GPL license. If you want, I can ask about a commercial license.

EDIT: Please, describe what exactly you want to do with the PunBB code.

3 (edited by mdn 2009-11-17 15:32)

Parpalak wrote:

But if you want to distribute a software that includes PunBB code, you have to release it under GPL license. If you want, I can ask about a commercial license.

Ok if commercial license is available - please could you send me a link to it.

4 (edited by PunBB1.2 2009-11-18 09:04)

Parpalak, a little offtop. If I wish use the ./include/dblayer/mysql.php in my open-source project, I must leave a comments in it's, that this code in base is from the PunBB project, and that's all?

mdn wrote:

Ok if commercial license is available - please could you send me a link to it.

There is no explicit commercial license. But if we knew what you want to do with the PunBB code we could offer such a license. Please, send me a PM or email with the description of your project (or how you want to use the PunBB code).

PunBB1.2 wrote:

If I wish use the ./include/dblayer/mysql.php in my open-source project, I must leave a comments in it's, that this code in base is from the PunBB project, and that's all?

Yes. And the license of your project is to be GPL.

Parpalak wrote:

There is no explicit commercial license. But if we knew what you want to do with the PunBB code we could offer such a license. Please, send me a PM or email with the description of your project (or how you want to use the PunBB code).

I do not want to use PunBB code.
I have some project's sources where PunBB is used as a forum base (avatars/authenticate module is rewritten at least) and I want to check is GPL license of PunBB enough to be sure that full sources are GPLed (there is no any other license info except PunBB part).

So as I understand by other legal checks - it has been used under usual GPL.

Usual copyright is in that sources:

/***********************************************************************

Copyright (C) 2002-2005  Rickard Andersson (rickard@punbb.org)

This file is part of PunBB.

PunBB is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
  under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published
  by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License,
  or (at your option) any later version.

PunBB is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
  WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
  GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston,
  MA  02111-1307  USA

************************************************************************/

As far as I understand, you have sources written by somebody and you want to know if all sources are released under GPL. Am I right?

Actually, it is not required by GPL. Everything depends on the connection between PunBB and other sources.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm … tarySystem:

However, in many cases you can distribute the GPL-covered software alongside your proprietary system. To do this validly, you must make sure that the free and non-free programs communicate at arms length, that they are not combined in a way that would make them effectively a single program.