Topic: Wrong post counting

I have a question concerning posts. I've just installed a new forum on my localhost server and it says that I've already added 3 posts. But that's not true. I've only added 1 post. Why does it say 3 posts? It's supposed to say 1 post.

I thought it was supposed to count only posts that are currently on the forum, not the total number of posts I've added since the installation of the forum.

Thanks.

Re: Wrong post counting

JamesD2 wrote:

Why does it say 3 posts?

Your db can't have been empty.
The fresh install on a clean db is always ONE post.

3 (edited by JamesD2 2010-03-06 13:52)

Well, that kind of doesn't answer my question. I know that there was ONE post after the fresh install. The problem is that if I delete one of my posts, the counter doesn't change (subtract the deleted post).

Let's say I have 3 posts in my forums. I add a new post somewhere in my forum. The counter says 4, which is ok. Now I delete one of my posts. And the counter still says 4, which is wrong. It's supposed to say 3 (since 4-1=3).

Or is this the way how the counter works? Does it count all your posts you have added even though some of them have been deleted?

JamesD2 wrote:

Does it count all your posts you have added even though some of them have been deleted?

Exactely...

Ok, then it's kind of inaccurate... What if there was a member with 2000 posts and 1000 of them were deleted? People might ask where all the posts are...

Valid point that it's inaccurate counter of active posts, but very acurate and arguably useful info about someones past activity...

but in your hypothetical example I wonder how anyone would verify, let alone complain or ask about it?

KeyDog wrote:

very acurate and arguably useful info about someones past activity...

That's true. There could be a switch in the administration panel, though. Then, the admin could choose between the way it works right now, or the way I've suggested.

It's just a suggestion, though. I think all phpbb forums work the way I described above. Maybe that's why I was confused about it. smile

JamesD2 wrote:

There could be a switch in the administration panel, though

Correct. I guess you could submit it as feature request in that case, should you need/want it... They're always welcome.

Edit: Moved this thread from troubleshooting to discussion.

We had a discussion about the way of calculating the posts count and decided not to decrease the value on posts deleting.

Parpalak wrote:

We had a discussion about the way of calculating the posts count and decided not to decrease the value on posts deleting.

I see, but that was almost 2 years ago...

Anyway, I think it would be better and more accurate to count current posts only. But that's just my opinion.

And 2 years ago we worked hard to make 1.3 final release.

Since then we have been just fixing bugs in the forum core (and developing extensions, of course).