Re: md5 (?) encoded ip addresses

SuperMAG wrote:

This is a PUNBB SUPPORT forum. which means i can ask support for their Open Source Forums Software.

You have surely read about Official support.

SuperMAG wrote:

why would devs actully not do it

Because we don't consider this is a really useful feature. pepak has explained you why.

27 (edited by SuperMAG 2009-06-03 12:39)

lol donno know what exatly does support means, but i am trying my best to find the answers myslef first then if i cant, i ask here, even if there are alot of requests, if the people helped me with these questions and other stuff, u would have to answer them later for other members. And it is as u said, i shouldn't expect an answer but what's are the stuff like (learn php etc). These are not answer related to the question, if they don't want to give answer, i am not forcing any one.

EDIT: Sorry Parpalak, didn't read the 2nd page.

Support, Official Support, don't really know what they means, but i think i get the idea, like if they want to answer to the members or not.

And ok i get it, If you people think its not useful to encode ip then its ok, you have more knowledge then me.
But i need to ask the Creater of this Topic: why does He want that.

We are getting alittle more off topic here. (its all your fault Matt big_smile )

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

The O.P may want that for any number of reasons. As pointed out, however, it provides no real benefit. It is more of either a token gesture or just to appease the security by obscurity camp.

I haven't sidetracked the thread, btw. I merely pointed out that there was no reason for you not to learn at least the basics for yourself. A lot of your questions are very repetitive in their general nature. You might at least attempt to put some effort in instead of always expecting others to do it for you. That is neither a large nor unattainable request. Btw, very few people are truly unable to learn. It is merely down to a lack of desire to do so, not the inability to do so.

yess thats the word (lack of desire). That was one of the reasons i couldnt learn php. and also it was a little more complicated for me.

as i said if you developers think that encoding this is useless, then its ok = Dont want it anymore, but i am still curious why Head_lice does want this.

SuperMAG wrote:

but i am still curious why Head_lice does want this.

I'd personally guess at either paranoia or merely misguided attempts at security. If someone can access your DB directly, whether the I.P and P.M's are encoded or not is rather low on the list of things one should be addressing.

well my guess is privicy, you can find the location, ISP and other information from an ip address address.

SuperMAG wrote:

well my guess is privicy, you can find the location, ISP and other information from an ip address address.

One wouldn't store the I.P address at all if absolute privacy was the paramount concern.

At the end of the day, if people don't want their online presence known, they shouldn't be online.

33 (edited by weiner 2010-03-13 11:42)

No matt f it's not misguided. If u want privacy you should hash "127.0.0.1sitehashpassword" not "127.0.0.1". This prevents bruteforcing the ip.