Topic: Show latest posts rather than topic in RSS?

Hi, I've read the documentation of the extern.php but I can't find a way for the RSS to contain the latest posts. It only shows new topics and when they're answered, but then it shows the first post in the topic only, not the new posts.

Did anyone understand what I just wrote?! smile I hardly do it myself.

I would like the newest posts show up in the RSS, how do I do that? There, finally I said it wink

Re: Show latest posts rather than topic in RSS?

I'm using http://hotsailsmaui.com/forum/extern.ph … p;type=rss to fetch the feed.

The RSS contains the correct topic header, the correct url to the post, but the description/message is from the first post rather than from the latest post as one would expect, and the same goes for the writer of the post.

Hasn't anyone really had this problem?

I was running 1.2.22 before and have done an upgrade. It worked in 1.2.22

You've given a link to the new topics RSS feed. It's not logical to put the last post in a topic as the content of this topic, because you can have no new topics, but meantime the content of the RSS feed is likely to change.

Now there are new topics feed and new posts in the topic feed. The reasonable question is "Why there is no new posts in the whole forum feed?" smile We'll consider it.

Ok, so there are neither new posts in forum, nor new posts in all forum. I can't really see the point in having an RSS (the one linked to in the top of each forum's header) that always lists the first post of the last topic that someone posted in. If I'm subscribing to an RSS I always want to see the latest posts. Otherwise, what's the point in using an RSS/RSS-reader?! smile

If I'm missing something in the use of extern.php, please enlighten me so I can use it the way it's designed to be (and that meets my reqs above) smile

btw, Parpalak, wouldn't it be a rather easy mod to make? If you could point me to what lines need to be changed I can probably do the change myself.

I'm afraid I can't. It requires a little bit more than just a change of some lines.

nicky6 wrote:

I can't really see the point in having an RSS (the one linked to in the top of each forum's header) that always lists the first post of the last topic that someone posted in.

One can't but agree with you smile

I've studied out the situation with RSS feeds. I think the right way is to have two types of feeds: topics and posts. One should be able to specify forums for the topic feed and forums or topics for the post feed.

But there are some difficulties. I've found that the post feed is going to be slow and resource-consuming since it requires a database query with 4 joined tables. Maybe I will be able to optimize it, but a simplification is to be considered as well.

I think it would be great with one RSS for all new posts for all forums. Yes that would probably heavy. And one RSS per forum which lists all posts for that forum.
For forums that have a heavier usage, I guess to subscribe to topics is needed as you say, as well as the posts in a topic as per today.

Thanks for looking into it!

I've started to improve RSS feeds. If you want to test it, you can take the last dev version of the extern.php. The instruction can be found at the beginning of the file.

content=posts is just the way I want it. Excellent!!! THANKS!!!
The forum I'm responsible for only have at most 10-20 posts a day and it seems the queries made had decent enough speed for me at least.

I've moved the changes ("content=posts") from the forum core to the pun_posts_feed extension due to performance and compatibility issues.

I'd recommend you to take the last version of extern.php again and to install this extension.

ok, thanks