Topic: Extension to submit users/IPs to stopforumspam.com

Would be very interested in an extension that

- let's me input API key I receive from stopforumspam.com (SFS)
- let's me HTTP POST by clicking on "Submit To SFS"

Background:

Adding to the Database

Submissions to the database first require an API key. You can then use our add form to submit your spammer data. Please note that if you sign up on our forums with the same email address you used when you registered your API key, your key will be pre-populated in the form as long as you're logged in.

You can automate submissions by making an HTTP POST to the following URL, with the following parameters:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/add.php
?username=USERNAME
&ip_addr=IPADDRESS
&email=EMAILADDRESS
&api_key=ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
To verify, check the HTTP status code returned. a 200 will indicate a successful submission, whereas a 403 will indicate an unsuccessful attempt. A reason will be given (inside a paragraph tag) for unsuccessful attempts. Nothing will be returned for a successful submission.

Note that all information is required to submit (username, email, and IP address).

source: stopforumspam.com

Re: Extension to submit users/IPs to stopforumspam.com

There's the botscout one which is similar

Thanks for the pointer.
I think if would be more user friendly
- to be able to add the API key in the admin section and also
- if it were possible without manually changing the code in register.php (for future updates - not that there have been many lately...)

I don't know how the two compare, but I find that SFS has more IPs in the db than the botscout one...

Are you using the above and happy with it?

Edit: I just tried it and as my host has disabled file_get_contents it doesn't work for me...

Well I guess it wouldn't be that hard to programe extension which would do that, but personally I don't really believe in this type of antispam. How big hit rate do they have? I tried it on few spambots and it was about 50%. Isn't better (and simpler) just use extension which would enhance registration with question (which could you type in administration) that would be site-related?

I.e for forum about Terminator I used question "Who in the future is leader of mankind and will destroy Skynet? Hint: it's Sarah Connor's son)" or you for national forum you could use part of nursery rhyme which everyone knows.

Eraversum - scifi browser-based online webgame

Grez wrote:

just use extension which would enhance registration with question (which could you type in administration) that would be site-related

Thanks, that already exists. Official extension "Stop spam from Bots".

Grez wrote:

I tried it on few spambots and it was about 50%

Which ones?

6 (edited by Grez 2010-07-18 16:23)

KeyDog wrote:

Which ones?

Wel,l as I'm looking again on the domain name I think "not really relevant ones" - I tested few which were spamming one CMS I have access to  big_smile

Eraversum - scifi browser-based online webgame