Topic: Country Filter Enhancement Idea For Pun_Approval

I was just thinking, after deleting users number 1001 from the philippines, and user 1002 from india, and user 1003 from china, that it would come in very handy if I could set in my admin panel countries from which I want registrations to go to pun_approval.

So certain countries I'd set to auto approve and the spam nations I don't expect much regular users from would still be allowed, but need the approval of mod/admin.

Re: Country Filter Enhancement Idea For Pun_Approval

Just as an example ;

this website had 13 spammers register today of which 7 (+50%) were either
India, Banlgadesh, Pakistan or the Phillipines.

Recent comment I received from an extension developer who doesn't have time to code it atm:

I think you've got a great idea here. In my own forums, I have found that 100% of registrations from the Philippines and China are spammers. Such an integration of my plugin* and the Pun_Approval plugin would save me the trouble of manually banning these users.[...]

* IP Geolocation

3 (edited by Jürgen 2010-09-08 13:25)

pun_approval at the moment is either post and registration approval on or off. I disabled it due to lack of individual settings. Would be nice to have some fine tuning options like only registrations from India, Banlgadesh, Pakistan or the Philippines need approval and e.g. turning post approval off.

Thanks.

Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain

Jürgen wrote:

pun_approval at the moment is either post and registration approval on or off

Did you ever try
Administration » Start » Forums » Edit forum
and the deactivate post approval for each forum .... (it's not most efficient way, but if you do it once it's worth it...)

KeyDog wrote:

Did you ever try...

No I did not because post approval for me makes only sense if URLs are posted or if I could set to approve of posts of certain users only (who like to cause problems, constantly ignoring the rules, being rude or agressive, etc, maybe also connected to the ranking, e.g. new users with less than 10 posts).
More important would be registration approval but... only from users signing up from countries mentioned above.

I think that registration approval and post approval should be separate and not turned on by default as soon as the extension is installed. It would give the forum admins a bit of time to see and play...

Thanks.

Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.
Mark Twain

I agree that it would be an extremely useful feature to be able to restrict registration from certain countries. That should terminate most of the spam problems in PunBB forums. If a spammer would try to bypass by using a proxy server, it could be solved by having a list of proxy servers as an option to block as well.