1 (edited by TFD 2011-05-11 15:30)

Topic: Several questions

Thanks in advance for any help

1. I have designed one of my styles to be more mobile friendly, the width is set at 800 so it fits my droid pretty well in landscape but the forum is centered on the page (computer or droid) so when I open it on the droid I get only about half the forum showing, the left half is blank space, so each time I refresh I must first grab the forum on the page and slide it left to view the whole thing. What do I need to change to make the whole forum appear on the left side of the page?

2. I've had this forum for over 4 years, its a sports message board and stays pretty busy. The board is nowhere near as fast as it used to be even though each of the 3 moves has been to an upgraded server the board has gotten slower. Right now its a text only board (except for small avatars) and there are no uploads or downloads to the server, its a VPS with 768 Ram, 40GB storage and 2000 GB bandwidth and I dont use even half the storage. That should be plenty of server for a punbb board right? Anyway here are the questions about trying to find why my server is so slow-

A. On the admin page I see 7772893 rows listed, which is about how many posts I have since the move to a new host 3 years ago but I only have 70k posts on the board as I delete a LOT of posts, it seems to help with the speed. Is it searching all 7.7 millions rows each time? Do I need to delete the blank rows in mysql/phpmyadmin?

B. Searches really kill the server, if I search and especially if I open 2 tabs and search at the same time the board slows to a crawl for all users. Server load spikes from .50 (on avg) to a 3, 4 or 5. If I only have 70k posts it shouldnt cause this problem should it? I never user all the ram, at most only half the RAM available has ever been used. Its all on the CPU. Also I have search limited in the admin panel to "only search one forum at a time" PLUS I have two forums hidden, I use them as an archive. So in reality the people should only be searching through 28,000 posts on the main board. Is there a way to improve the search or fix this problem?  Maybe there is a problem with mysql or something? Does the search actually search all posts in the database but only list the ones from the chosen forum?

Thanks for any help or advice  you can give me  smile

Re: Several questions

1. We try make Oxygen style more mobile friendly in 1.4 upcoming version.

A. Mysql analyze + Mysql optimize

dimkalinux wrote:

A. Mysql analyze + Mysql optimize

I have used optimize, it isnt making a difference and the techs at my host told me it gets optimized each morning when the cron updates all the programs on the server.

I have not tried the analyze  though.

Turn on in MySQL config slow query log and watch slow queries.

dimkalinux wrote:

Turn on in MySQL config slow query log and watch slow queries.

Ok I'll see if I can do that. Thanks