Topic: IP ban doesn't seem to work?

Last week my forum had a very large number of guests... I thought. When I looked in de table Online I noticed that there are two ranges of numbers visiting my site constantly.

Trying to block those IP ranges doen't seem to work (users > bans >IP-adresses to ban).

for example the two numbers are (this is not the real number of course ;-) ): 33.333.33.333 and  that looks like 222.22.222.22

I tried to ban them as follow: 33.333
And an ban that looks like: 222.22

But it doenst seem to work, the numbers are still visiting my site. Somebody an idea how I can solve this problem?

Excuse my English....and my knowledge of IP no's.. wink

Re: IP ban doesn't seem to work?

A ban doesn't stop traffic or access to website, it's only banning users logging in. You don't have that problem with the logged in users, right?

If you're sure it's not just one of the search engines such as baidu or yandex you could implement it via .htaccess.

By adding the following code to your .htaccess file, they will be blocked from accessing the site altogether.

order allow,deny
deny from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
deny from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
allow from all

3 (edited by wijnand 2012-01-13 21:40)

KeyDog wrote:

If you're sure it's not just one of the search engines such as baidu or yandex you could implement it via .htaccess.

Thank you for the answer!
Is there a way to make sure it's not one of the search engines? Is there a way I can check the IP no's?

Found it myself.. wink

http://www.luxsoft.eu/sndex.php?pge=ss-rb