Topic: The file 'config.php' doesn't exist or is corrupt.

I'm trying to install PunBB 1.4.2 on an Ubuntu 12.04 server.

I installed a LAMP server.
I created my database and user in MYSQL.
I extracted punbb-1.4.2.tar.gz to a directory within the var directory (this server will be running this forum exclusively).  Apparently I'm unable to put three w's in my post because it is, and I quote, "Too more links in message." ??
I changed the permissions on cache and avatars.
I opened index.php which led me to install.php.
I followed the instructions and entered my information.
I was given a link to download my config.php.  I downloaded the config.php and have since placed it in every possible directory that Punbb could be considering it's "root directory."
I then went to index.php and received this error:

"Sorry! The page could not be loaded.

The file 'config.php' doesn't exist or is corrupt.
Please run install.php to install PunBB first"

I've already run install.php as mentioned above.  If I go back to install.php, I receive this message:

"The file 'config.php' already exists which would mean that PunBB is already installed. You should go here instead."

Clicking "here" takes me back to the first error message.

Here is the contents of my config.php (comments, url, name, username and password excluded):

<?php

$db_type = 'mysqli';
$db_host = 'localhost';
$db_name = '';
$db_username = '';
$db_password = '';
$db_prefix = '';
$p_connect = false;

$base_url = '';

$cookie_name = 'forum_cookie_3e09f9';
$cookie_domain = '';
$cookie_path = '/';
$cookie_secure = 0;

define('FORUM', 1);

I have no idea where to go from here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'd like to continue running PunBB on our discussions sites because it's what our committee is used to.

Re: The file 'config.php' doesn't exist or is corrupt.

Well...was worth a try.  PhpBB3, here I come.

Re: The file 'config.php' doesn't exist or is corrupt.

Maybe something with CHMOD? Should be 644 (rw-r--r--)

If any of my dropbox link fails with 404 error, change dl.dropbox.com/u/56038890/punbb/*.zip in address to 82283017.

Currently working on rPlus - responsive theme for developers to create their own themes basing on this one.