Re: shoutbox_pun - a punbb shoutbox

Thanks for this great extension ! I 've a request: is it possible to assign post rights on other groups than guests.
For example, I would disable post right in shoutbox for members group and enable post rights to another group. smile

UP

Great extension ! Thank you !

But I'm having an anoying trouble using it:

It works perfectly but always crash at one point. The box is still here but no one is able to post anymore.
There is a lot of people on my forum and I'm wondering if there is any maximum posts in the chatbox ?

The only solution I found is to re-install it, in the admin board. But it crashes every time after a while (1 hour to 1 week).

Any guess on a solution ?
I'm looking forward to reading from you guys !
Thank you for your time.

PS: Sorry for my english I'm French smile

Interesting - I've not run this on busy forums but have been running it for a few years on a small forum without difficulty.

How many posts do you think you get made to the shoutbox before it crashes? Would you be able to share the shoutbox database table with me?

Is there anything in your server error logs?

Thanks

80 (edited by antonio 2012-08-31 16:37)

Well, it will be fine have an option to delete old (useless) posts, lets say older than 500 rows. I reckon deleting them manually in MySQL would not harm anything.

antonio wrote:

Well, it will be fine have an option to delete old (useless) post, lets say older than 500 rows. I reckon deleting them manually in MySQL would not harm anything.

Agreed - feel free to delete the old posts. Though if that does fix it I would like to know because that's clearly a bug!

The shoutbox not working on my site, i tried reinstalling few times, nothing works, its just shows a box and when i write and enter it justs posts nothing.

http://supermag.heliohost.org

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

SuperMAG wrote:

The shoutbox not working on my site, i tried reinstalling few times, nothing works, its just shows a box and when i write and enter it justs posts nothing.

http://supermag.heliohost.org

Have you modified your forum more than just installing plugins? The data being returned from the server appears to be:

1 requests  ❘  1.15KB transferred
data.php
/extensions/shoutbox_pun
512ms0

HeadersPreviewResponseCookiesTiming
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  ob_start() [<a href='ref.outcontrol'>ref.outcontrol</a>]: output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used twice in <b>/home/supermag/public_html/include/common.php</b> on line <b>49</b><br />
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
<iserror>0</iserror><br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined variable: forum_user in <b>/home/supermag/public_html/extensions/shoutbox_pun/data.php</b> on line <b>148</b><br />
    <forumuser></forumuser>
    <newones>4</newones>
    <lastid>4</lastid>
    <message>
        <id>1</id>
        <userid><br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined variable: forum_user in <b>/home/supermag/public_html/extensions/shoutbox_pun/data.php</b> on line <b>176</b><br />
</userid>
        <username>SuperMAG</username>
        <date><br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined variable: timediff in <b>/home/supermag/public_html/extensions/shoutbox_pun/data.php</b> on line <b>184</b><br />
1347283021</date>
        <text>hello</text>
    </message>
    <message>
        <id>2</id>
        <userid><br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined variable: forum_user in <b>/home/supermag/public_html/extensions/shoutbox_pun/data.php</b> on line <b>176</b><br />
</userid>
        <date><br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined variable: timediff in <b>/home/supermag/public_html/extensions/shoutbox_pun/data.php</b> on line <b>184</b><br />
1347283088</date>
        <text>...</text>
    </message>
    <message>
        <id>3</id>
        <userid><br />
</userid>
        <date><br />
1347283244</date>
        <text>hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeey</text>
    </message>
    <message>
        <id>4</id>
        <userid><br />
</userid>
        <username>test</username>
        <date><br />
1347292065</date>
        <text>test</text>
    </message>
<br />
<b>Notice</b>:  Undefined variable: ext_info in <b>/home/supermag/public_html/extensions/shoutbox_pun/data.php</b> on line <b>194</b><br />
<blah></blah></response>

84 (edited by SuperMAG 2012-09-10 15:51)

nope, but i did move the forum to another host and site. i havent modified the core files, just installed plugin and messed up with the main oxygenmini css. made it green.

Thanks SuperMag, what version are you running?

Latest i think, let me check, PunBB Shoutbox 8.3, same link:
https://github.com/downloads/andrewmich … ox_pun.zip

btw, how does this fare with server load, will it make my site host unhappy lol?

87 (edited by ams 2012-09-11 16:39)

OK, i'll see if I get the time to take a look at this but I'm unfortunately quite busy at the moment. Thanks for all the information.

It can be quite a hit on the server - each person with the shoutbox open will poll the server every second - so if you have a large number of concurrent users on your forum it could cause something of a strain.

The only thing that can really be done about this is implementing a time out (if someone leaves your forum open for an hour - chances are they wandered off and don't care about the shoutbox). This is definitely a feature I'd be keen to add but as I've said I'm quite busy and unfortunately  this isn't too high on my list of priorities smile

ok thanks. smile

ams: The extension works well till I add define('FORUM_DEBUG', 1); in config.php, then the chat-window is empty and its content is shown after adding a "shout", however nor after that the content (time and username) is displayed properly.

antonio wrote:

ams: The extension works well till I add define('FORUM_DEBUG', 1); in config.php, then the chat-window is empty and its content is shown after adding a "shout", however nor after that the content (time and username) is displayed properly.

Thanks for the report, I've raised this as an issue here: https://github.com/andrewmichaelsmith/s … n/issues/8

Hi ams, i love u extension. I have it installed on my punbb site.

I have the same question on this topic (post). Do you have any message limit? Although not launched my site, I want to ensure that the extension will not fail. Are you available to help me?

Francisco FR wrote:

Great extension ! Thank you !

But I'm having an anoying trouble using it:

It works perfectly but always crash at one point. The box is still here but no one is able to post anymore.
There is a lot of people on my forum and I'm wondering if there is any maximum posts in the chatbox ?

The only solution I found is to re-install it, in the admin board. But it crashes every time after a while (1 hour to 1 week).

Any guess on a solution ?
I'm looking forward to reading from you guys !
Thank you for your time.

PS: Sorry for my english I'm French smile

i hope u response!

saurus wrote:

Hi ams, i love u extension. I have it installed on my punbb site.

I have the same question on this topic (post). Do you have any message limit? Although not launched my site, I want to ensure that the extension will not fail. Are you available to help me?

i hope u response!

There is no hard limit, I have run this on a quiet forum for many years without issue.

We didn't get to the bottom of Francisco FR's issue but I would like to.

93 (edited by saurus 2013-01-03 14:48)

Thanks for your answer ams. I like the minimalist style of the shoutbox. However, I consider it necessary to add some things.

For example;

Ban user form shout
Users with group Color
Input box with same large of chat

Is this possible?

Ban user form shout

Yeah, it is good.

Users with group Color

Naturally, if pun_colored_usergroups is installed.

and! show emoticons on shout... ams u here :3?

96 (edited by ams 2013-01-18 16:24)

Hey

Thanks for the suggestions.

I like the idea of emoticons and that's definitely on the TODO.

I should note though that I'm pretty busy and have other projects on the go - I encourage anyone out there to contribute themselves! The project is very basic and is on github. If anyone makes the effort to send a pull request I'll definitely find the time to merge it!

Don't forget to implement BBCode too! smile

Trace wrote:

Don't forget to implement BBCode too! smile

I think that's kinda tricky! BBCode wasn't intended for single line 'shouts'. I can see the URL tag being useful but aside from that I think it's just going to give people power to annoy smile

Yes, you're right! But you should give admins permission to set what BBCode should be, and what not smile.

100 (edited by helliax 2013-05-03 15:06)

I've managed to implement username links, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about tying it to an option, so it can be turned on and off through the forum settings.

Right now, the link is generated in the javascript. Specifically, the getHTMLFromMessage() function in shoutbox-pun.js. So in other words, I can't access the PHP config values directly. One way I figure I can do it, is to create a hidden <input /> that has the value, and grab that value from javascript. But that seems really hackish. Does anyone have any suggestions, or just other mods to check out, to see how they did it?

I forked andrew's project so I can work on it without messing up his project, so you can look at the code I have now: https://github.com/helliax/shoutbox_pun. Preferably, all my major changes will get turned into options, so we end up with one mod instead of two with just minor differences.