1 (edited by kenshi64 2013-01-16 13:25)

Topic: When I upload a new theme, how do I choose it?

I want to use Hydrogen v2 Uploaded here by a pretty cool person. I'm an new user to punBB as is obvious since I'm yet changing from default theme, so please be helpful and go easy on me.

I want to know how I install this theme, I'm not sure, is this right:

UPDATE: So far I uploaded the unzipped contents individually to the folder ( don't ask) and I selected hydrogen from the drop down in settings and saved. But no changes, do I need to clear my cache?

I have some other questions too, though I won't go on about them, will post them here, if anyone can help PM me smile

1. How do I edit the landing and other pages to have my logo, change the font in the header and external link to my website since the forum is on a subdomain, please help a lost soul find the way! sad

Regards
kenshi64

Re: When I upload a new theme, how do I choose it?

kenshi64 wrote:

UPDATE: So far I uploaded the unzipped contents individually to the folder ( don't ask) and I selected hydrogen from the drop down in settings and saved. But no changes, do I need to clear my cache?

Hi, you need to change your profile default theme aswell, if you want to see it when logged in.
If you log out you should see the theme you selected and saved initially.

KeyDog wrote:
kenshi64 wrote:

Hi, you need to change your profile default theme aswell, if you want to see it when logged in.
If you log out you should see the theme you selected and saved initially.

Hello! smile

Could you explain to me what profile theme entails I'm not sure I have done that. Well whatever the case the website won't load now, will have to delete the folder since I did something wrong : /
Sorry that's a very confusing sentence, do you basically mean the new theme I selected? As soon as I emptied cache I couldn't view the website anymore, I get a 500 error.

I hope you can help me further, thank you! smile

Your first task now is to reinstall the default style (if necessary re-upload entire forum).
then upload the downloaded theme to  'yourforum/style/' folder.

There are two places you need to change the theme so that it shows across the site for all users including yourself
1. in profile of administrator
2. in administration area general settings

KeyDog wrote:

Your first task now is to reinstall the default style (if necessary re-upload entire forum).
then upload the downloaded theme to  'yourforum/style/' folder.

There are two places you need to change the theme so that it shows across the site for all users including yourself
1. in profile of administrator
2. in administration area general settings

Hey! Had to do a fresh install sad

Okay number 2 is easy to do, how do I accomplish the first? What option am I looking for?

Profile -> Settings

Trace wrote:

Profile -> Settings

Profile -> settings gives me nothing about themes : / It gives me time zones, whether to load smilies, sigs etc

That mean, that you have only one theme available and you've not installed any else.
Check the folder with style. If in the folder is a second folder with style name, leave only this second.

9 (edited by kenshi64 2013-01-18 14:46)

Trace wrote:

That mean, that you have only one theme available and you've not installed any else.
Check the folder with style. If in the folder is a second folder with style name, leave only this second.

Oh so sorry! I'm uploading the second theme right now, will see if that adds a theme option. And is there any order in which I change the themes: 1 First main settings, then admin panel?

IMP: Is hydrogen compatible with 1.4.2?

Yes, hydrogen is compatible with 1.4.2.
If you change theme in admin panel - this will be a default theme for all new users.
You and other will have still old theme. And because that you are changing it in your profile (for you).

Trace wrote:

Yes, hydrogen is compatible with 1.4.2.
If you change theme in admin panel - this will be a default theme for all new users.
You and other will have still old theme. And because that you are changing it in your profile (for you).

Hello Trace, the website theme has been changed successfully ! smile I'm glad to say this, very glad, thank you for your help, much appreciated.

On a side note, I run a pet's website and the background (denim) is pretty irrelevant to my website can I change this?

Your welcome.

kenshi64 wrote:

On a side note, I run a pet's website and the background (denim) is pretty irrelevant to my website can I change this?

Guess. big_smile
Yes, you can.
You can install this:
http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … easeurban/
It is very similar, but has other background.
You can also change background in Hydrogen to your own by using CSS.
Open hydrogen.css and change:

body{
    background: url(img/bg.png) repeat-x #213F53;
}

Here you have some advices:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_background.asp
Also you can just replace your custom background with bg.png file located in style/hydrogen/img.

13 (edited by kenshi64 2013-01-18 15:45)

Trace wrote:

Your welcome.

kenshi64 wrote:

Guess. big_smile
Yes, you can.
You can install this:
http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … easeurban/
It is very similar, but has other background.
You can also change background in Hydrogen to your own by using CSS.
Open hydrogen.css and change:

body{
    background: url(img/bg.png) repeat-x #213F53;
}

Here you have some advices:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_background.asp
Also you can just replace your custom background with bg.png file located in style/hydrogen/img.

Ah! Spot  on! I wish all forum posters made such helpful replies! Thanks a lot, anyway I wrote to Kushi and he said can too so I'm sorted wink big_smile

Your welcome smile.
As I know, Kushi is a male. And... what he can? I don't understand, sorry. smile

Trace wrote:

Your welcome smile.
As I know, Kushi is a male. And... what he can? I don't understand, sorry. smile

Aah Sorry! I'm new here plus I'm asian not russian so I can't tell the difference, Innocent mistake though 0:)

Russian? It's an international site, where we speak in English. I am from Poland, not from Russia. Some PunBB Developers are from this country.

Trace wrote:

Russian? It's an international site, where we speak in English. I am from Poland, not from Russia. Some PunBB Developers are from this country.

I don't get your point? What I was trying to say is that I read somewhere in the themes thread by Kushi something about russian web designers so I thought he was russian tongue