Topic: Desperate for help!

I am running an established forum (since 2003) on PunBB 1.1.5 (Hugely embarrassed!)

Yes, I know it's ancient, but it has 3846 registered users, 10973 topics and 75128 posts.

I can't remember now why it was never upgraded, I think it may have been something to do with attachments in posts.

Is there ANY WAY that I can bring my forum up to date, even if I have to do it in stages? Perhaps someone has something archived away?

I have considered installing the latest version from scratch but there is just too much information to lose if I ditch the version I have.

Any assistance / guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I've been down so long it's beginning to look like up..

Re: Desperate for help!

The best idea will be updating 1.1 -> 1.2 -> 1.3 -> 1.4
At beginning update to 1.2:
http://punbb.informer.com/docs/install.html

3 (edited by JohnS 2013-04-12 12:37)

Thank you, but all I can see available for download on the site is version 1.2.23.

Will this work and will I be able to transfer attachments?

Edit: Also when I download this it says it is a corrupted zip file!

JohnS wrote:

Thank you, but all I can see available for download on the site is version 1.2.23.

Updater will work of course also on 1.2.23.

JohnS wrote:

Will this work and will I be able to transfer attachments?

I don't think that attachments (which aren't in the core of PunBB) will be also imported.

JohnS wrote:

Edit: Also when I download this it says it is a corrupted zip file!

Download again, it might discontinued.

Trace wrote:

Download again, it might discontinued.

I have now downloaded several times but still get the same error. I have downloaded different formats, but all the same.

Is it possible for someone to attach a working zip file for 1.2 here so that I can retrieve it?

http://punbb.informer.com/download/punbb-1.2.23.zip
Downloaded succesfully, I don't know why it shouldn't work for you.

Trace wrote:

http://punbb.informer.com/download/punbb-1.2.23.zip
Downloaded succesfully, I don't know why it shouldn't work for you.

Well, believe me it didn't. Nor did it this time, still an invalid archive.

I finally downloaded it in a different format but, according to the update file included in the folder, 1.2.23 will only update from 1.2 onwards (not from 1.1.5).

This is why I asked if 1.2.23 would work in a previous post.

I will attempt to acquire 1.2 and see if that will update from 1.1.5.

8 (edited by JohnS 2013-04-22 16:28)

I managed to find and download a copy of 1.2.

My first need is to convert from PunBB 1.1.5 to PunBB 1.2.

In the 11_to_12_conerter php file is the following

$db->query('ALTER TABLE '.$db->prefix.'search_results RENAME '.$db->prefix.'search_cache') or error('Unable to alter DB structure.', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());
$db->query('ALTER TABLE '.$db->prefix.'search_cache DROP INDEX '.$db_prefix.'search_results_ident_idx') or error('Unable to alter DB structure.', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());
$db->query('ALTER TABLE '.$db->prefix.'search_cache ADD INDEX '.$db->prefix.'search_cache_ident_idx(ident(8))') or error('Unable to alter DB structure.', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

It fails at

('ALTER TABLE '.$db->prefix.'search_cache DROP INDEX '.$db_prefix.'search_results_ident_idx')

In my existing database there is a column called search_results_ident but none called  search_results_ident_idx.

I don't know enough about coding to understand whether it is looking for a column called search_results_ident_idx or if the _idx extension means something else.

If it is looking for this name should I just rename the column in my database to suit or modify the converter php file to remove the _idx extension?

This is from PunBB 1.1.5 install.php

case 'mysql':
     $sql = 'CREATE TABLE '.$db_prefix."search_results (
          id INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
          ident VARCHAR(200) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
          search_data TEXT NOT NULL,
          PRIMARY KEY (id)
          ) TYPE=MyISAM;";
     break;

I cannot figure out where the

$db->query('ALTER TABLE '.$db->prefix.'search_cache DROP INDEX '.$db_prefix.'search_results_ident_idx') or error('Unable to alter DB structure.', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

is coming from in the upgrade php file, and is stopping the upgrade in its tracks.

PLEASE, somebody help me to resolve these issues. Thank you.

You should have posted this under 1.2 Forums in the Troubleshooting section. I have reported the post to be moved to 1.2 Forums. There are experts there, who may help you.

Good luck big_smile