Topic: Follow users and topics

This extension is important. So that users can know when other users that they follow make new posts and also, the list of topics that a user is following and the last poster in that topic.

2 (edited by aliasm2k 2013-05-21 22:40)

Re: Follow users and topics

Once a topic is replied to, then the user automatcally starts to follow the post. Regarding following users, a better idea would be something like Friends and Foes in phpBB.

This is just my opinion. Anyway a mod for your request is not that bad. As a core feature, I think this would be a bad idea as punBB is designed to be a lite forum software.

Because if your forum is an heavy one and it keeps sending message every time a user replies, it'll weigh down your site. So the best is to see list of topics you are subscribed to and the last user that posted beside/beneath it. Also the need to follow users is important to know when the user have made new posts.

Examples: Followers (2)
                 Following (4)
                 Followed Topics (32)

What about New Post at top left corner of the screen?

It's a "socialization" of boards. Don't like this. Maybe as an extension.

Yes. It should be an extension. Because once you disable the forum mailer from sending updates on topics, then no way someone can be alerted.

aliasm2k wrote:

What about New Post at top left corner of the screen?

That is a different thing. It is to know for new posts in general.

Not sure. neutral Still dont think it is a really necessary feature.

9 (edited by Rolex 2013-05-22 22:15)

If you have a forum with about a million users you would understand. Replies will be flocking.

Once you disable that function in the admin, there is no other ways users can be alerted.

Ok. An extension maybe. Not sure who would be developing it though neutral

Im surprised there is no native way to subscribe to threads besides email alerts.

Subscribing to threads, and then clicking the button to see which subscribed threads have replies..

the absence of this feature is almost reason for me to choose a different forum software.

Tell me if I am mistaken. You want to have the list of topics, which:
- you are subscribed to
- have at least one reply

In my opinion it is nearly the same as list of subscripsion from a profile, isn't it?

If you want to contact me quickly - send e-mail, not PM.
<?php $t='<?php $t=%c%s%c; printf($t,39,$t,39,10);%c'; printf($t,39,$t,39,10);

Stowaway wrote:

Im surprised there is no native way to subscribe to threads besides email alerts.

Subscribing to threads, and then clicking the button to see which subscribed threads have replies..

the absence of this feature is almost reason for me to choose a different forum software.

Finally somebody understands me.

keeshii wrote:

Tell me if I am mistaken. You want to have the list of topics, which:
- you are subscribed to
- have at least one reply

In my opinion it is nearly the same as list of subscripsion from a profile, isn't it?

Yes. I think I'll just create a link to the subscribed topics.

It would be good if u could voew all subscriptions with replies... imstead of just all subscriptions

It should be included beside the new posts and active topics. If anyone knows how to do this or make extension to achieve this, it would be great.