Topic: Development?

So, had development officially stopped with PunBB then? It's been almost 2 years since the last release. A shame because it's a nifty software.

Re: Development?

Development is not stopped.

punBB its dead. DEAD.

why? no users online, maybe 2-3 a day. Admins / Mods / Support members - almost NONE - maybe 1 - 2 a week. NO new improved upgrades - since 2 YEAS ago... no new skin, no new extensions, nothing...

It seems like that, but at least was left relatively functional.

dimkalinux wrote:

Development is not stopped.

Is PunBB2 being worked on then?

As i known PunBB2 is not in development.

7 (edited by Sodacake 2014-01-24 01:25)

Fair enough. Thanks. It just seemed strange to me because there hasn't been a stable update/release in almost two years.

We worked for release with bugfixes (1.4.3)

9 (edited by Sodacake 2014-09-29 23:39)

I still feel like, without a major release in 2 years, PunBB development may as well be dead. Shame, it's a gorgeous software. Even an update on the site would be nice to let people know what the future holds for this place.

You're the only admin that has been active in any way in at least a year.

Sodacake wrote:

I still feel like, without a major release in 2 years, PunBB development may as well be dead. Shame, it's a gorgeous software. Even an update on the site would be nice to let people know what the future holds for this place.

You're the only admin that has been active in any way in at least a year.

I must agree on this.

11 (edited by keeshii 2014-10-01 20:15)

I know that the community is relatively small compared to fluxbb, but in my opinion punbb is much better written. That's the main reason, why I have decided to create some extensions for this forum engine, not for them. For the last 2 years were no new releases, because there is no need for that - the core should be small, simple, and stable. Security errors, bugs will be fixed, if someone finds them. And if you are looking for new functionalites, use extensions.

I don't say that punbb is perfect. In the new release of punbb I would love to see oxygen style rewritten to less/sass with responsive ui (media queries) and support for 3rd-party repositories of extensions. But even without that, punbb is great, runs extremaly fast on my machines and produces really small server load.

If you want to contact me quickly - send e-mail, not PM.
<?php $t='<?php $t=%c%s%c; printf($t,39,$t,39,10);%c'; printf($t,39,$t,39,10);

True, but without any news at all on the status of PunBB it doesn't inspire a lot of faith on potential users. It's also hard to find styles for this software. SuperMAG used to make good ones, but he's not around anymore.

dimkalinux wrote:

We worked for release with bugfixes (1.4.3)

i love you <3

sorry my BAD english T___T
Have a nice day >.<
(^____^)v

Sorry, but actually i can not currently work for 1.4.3.
1.4.2 is stable and contains any known security bugs.

I am working on PunBB 2.0. It will make use of Zen.

Please, dont use name PunBB 2.0. Called it ZenBB or something.

dimkalinux wrote:

Please, dont use name PunBB 2.0. Called it ZenBB or something.

Didn't you see the work I've been doing in the next branch?

I'm working on the core functions right now: https://github.com/xaoseric/punbb/blob/ … c/core.php

It's good to hear that you are working on 2.0 version, guys! I was worried that version 1.4.2 is the last.

keeshii wrote:

For the last 2 years were no new releases, because there is no need for that - the core should be small, simple, and stable. Security errors, bugs will be fixed, if someone finds them. And if you are looking for new functionalites, use extensions.

But even without that, punbb is great, runs extremaly fast on my machines and produces really small server load.

I completely agree, there shouldn't be a ton of new features always added inside of the core (making the software then bigger, and bigger, and needing to use more resources etc.). I'm glad that it's simple, because it honestly does everything that a small forum software should do.

Yeah it might be lacking a specific feature (I can name a few) however those should be plugins/extensions and not just always dragged inside of the core. Although the lack of updates does seem to show a slowing trend, that doesn't always mean the software is 100% dead. It's not dead until everyone, community wise, development wise, administrator wise, stops posting on here, making things, finding new ways to make the software work with updated system software.