Topic: punBB's features

maybe i'm not seeing it, but does anybody have a list of features punBB has that phpBB doesn't, and vice versa?

i'm considering switching over and I want to see what I'd be missing if I did switch, besides private messaging, file attachments in posts, definable user groups, polls, post preview, linking to off-site avatars, advanced text formatting controls, subforums.

thanks!

Re: punBB's features

and I'm mainly thinking about the Admin's features.. thanks!

3 (edited by middleground 2004-06-14 22:46)

Best way is to install it and play....only takes a couple minutes..

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One!!

We really need a feature list, I know. Anyone feel up to it?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard,

anything off the top of your head that you can offer real quick?

No, I've never gotten around to writing a feature list.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

If i install this on the same machine as the one I have phpBB on currently, do you see any potential problems when trying to convert over using Chacmool's converter?

I'll do it at the weekend, if you can wait that long wink

lament wrote:

If i install this on the same machine as the one I have phpBB on currently, do you see any potential problems when trying to convert over using Chacmool's converter?

No, there's no problem at all. In fact, you must have the database and webserver on the same machine when running the converter.

Chacmool wrote:
lament wrote:

No, there's no problem at all. In fact, you must have the database and webserver on the same machine when running the converter.

Yeah i figured.  I installed it on another machine last night and was playing around with it.

So your converter also converts the users as well?

And what about if I had off-site linking on phpbb.  How does the converter handle that?

thanks for the help..

lament wrote:

So your converter also converts the users as well?

It converters the users too.

lament wrote:

And what about if I had off-site linking on phpbb.  How does the converter handle that?

Then you would have to backup the forum there and install it on your local computer. As long as the database and webserver are located on the same machine it works fine.

12 (edited by lament 2004-06-15 19:48)

well I mean in my phpBB config people are linking offsite, and since punBB doesn't have this capability - how is it handled?  will it error?  will everyone lose their off-site links?

i just want to give a heads up to my users.