Topic: Few questions befroe starting

Hi,

I am seriously considering to use punBB as a base for the forum of my future web site.
The reason why I like punBB is mainly that it looks great on both mobile and computer.
It is simple. This will help the integration within our website and I don't need fancy features.

Before jumping into it, I have few questions:
1/ When I post a message here, I am only authorized to add 1 and only one link in the message, is this a parameter that can be changed?
2/ I want to have the user DB in an external DB, is it something that will break everything or can it be done relatively easily? (PS. I am not a developer and I will not do this my self, I just want to have an idea of the amount of work to do this for a skilled person) 
3/ Are there any punBB future release forecasted?

Also, any feedback from punBB users with pros and cons is welcome.

Thanks,
Groovy.

Re: Few questions befroe starting

1. The restriction "one link per post" is not part of the core. It must be an extension, but I don't know which one it is. If you need this feature, you will have to wait until punbb stuff answers.

2. This is possible, but requires some programming skills. Basicaly you will have to synchronize your external db and the users table from punbb. Whenever you add a new record to your external db, you should add a record to the punbb table and vice versa. This can be acomplished with fe. mysql triggers or php. Totally possible for an avarage developer or server admin.

3. The guys are regullary commiting stuff on github (unfortunately in russian, so I don't know exacly what they are doing and it is hard for me to contribute).
The project is not abandoned, and it won't be in the nearest future. There is simply not much to do, because all core funtionalities are working fine and new features are provided by extensions. The last two updates to the core added RWD for mobile and support with the newest php version.
If you find a bug and report it in this forum, I am sure it will be properly handled by our russian friends smile

If you want to contact me quickly - send e-mail, not PM.
<?php $t='<?php $t=%c%s%c; printf($t,39,$t,39,10);%c'; printf($t,39,$t,39,10);

Re: Few questions befroe starting

keeshii wrote:

1. The restriction "one link per post" is not part of the core. It must be an extension, but I don't know which one it is. If you need this feature, you will have to wait until punbb stuff answers.

2. This is possible, but requires some programming skills. Basicaly you will have to synchronize your external db and the users table from punbb. Whenever you add a new record to your external db, you should add a record to the punbb table and vice versa. This can be acomplished with fe. mysql triggers or php. Totally possible for an avarage developer or server admin.

3. The guys are regullary commiting stuff on github (unfortunately in russian, so I don't know exacly what they are doing and it is hard for me to contribute).
The project is not abandoned, and it won't be in the nearest future. There is simply not much to do, because all core funtionalities are working fine and new features are provided by extensions. The last two updates to the core added RWD for mobile and support with the newest php version.
If you find a bug and report it in this forum, I am sure it will be properly handled by our russian friends smile

guruu misss u

sorry my BAD english T___T
Have a nice day >.<
(^____^)v