Re: UEFA Euro 2004 thread (scores included)

I thought the game yesterday was totally ironic.

Before the game, everyone said Gerrard would win us the tournament, and that Ledley King was a liability.

In the end, Gerrard cost us the game and King was awesome. Ho hum!

So who do you think will win? I have a feeling Holland will be hard to beat this time.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Holland are always hard to beat - its just that they don't win. They will be just like Spain in that they are always a threat, but they never go the distance.

France are obvious favourites, but are far too arrogant for me. I think if it came to the crunch this time round, they will bottle it like they did in 2002.

Portugal and England are my two favourites though. I just think England have 11 quality players, not a weak position on the pitch. People say the left side is a problem but we do have 4 quality midfielders. Despite losing to Greece, I would still rate Portugal. You can't underestimate the power of home support.

I say with dread though, watch out for Germany. No-one gives them a chance, which is the worst thing you can do.

And here come Italy sneaking through on the rails while nobody is looking.

As for four quality midfielders. The latest news is Scholes has an ankle injury and may be unfit for the next match.

Joey. What about Ledley King. Personally I would leave him in the side now even if Terry is fit. What do you think.

Its a tough call, but its the sort of headache Sven will enjoy. Personally he can't really do wrong.

However I think you have to look at it realistically. King playing well shocked us all - we just didn't expect it. He's spent all year playing in midfield for a mid-table side. Whereas John Terry has had a great season at centre back, finishing 2nd in the league and semi-finalists in the Champions League. King is a good replacement, but you've got to hedge your bets and choose Terry.

Woho, 5-0 to sweden smile

"Real programmers are those that can sleep in front of terminals ... with their eyes opened."

"Real programmers don't work from 9 to 5. If any real programmers are around at 9am it's because they were up all night."

dR slIzer wrote:

Woho, 5-0 to sweden smile

Nice one Sweden. Is there anything these people can't do.

Brilliant! On another forum I post in, a guy made this post, with the title Right then, five matches in and only one "proper" goal scored.

Before anyone gets pedantic my definition of "proper" is a goal that hasn't come about from someone c*cking up. So:

1. Portuguese right-back gives the ball away, allowing Greece to score.

2. Ronaldo fouls to give Greece pen.

3. Spains goal was a "proper" one (I think, very drunk at the time)

4. Heskey.

5. Gerrard.

6. Two nil-nils.

Of course the Swedes will probably score five goals, all through open play, all created by moments of genius, but I found out interesting. 

Perhaps an indication of how close all the teams are this year?

Flame away, I care not

I just came home from the family football gettogether. Five goals! I try, but I can't curb my enthusiasm :) Henke Larsson is my god.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Larsson's 1st was majestic.

Marcus Allback scoring pleases me too, being a Villa fan.

I'm not sure if only UK visitors will be able to use this, but you can see videos of all the goals from all the Euro2004 games here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal … efault.stm

When Larsson scored, he ran over to the sideline, where Allback hugged him and picked him up.

When Allback scored, he went and found Larsson to hug him too. I think thats good. It would've been easy for Allback to get annoyed, because Larsson announced he was going to play for Sweden again and walked back into the team, at the cost of Allback's place.

At a guess, Larsson will have met up with Allback, taken him to one side and said, "Sorry mate, didn't mean to walk back into the team, no hard feelings?"

Seems alright.

I want to watch these games with English commentary. I hate the fact that Eurosport has gone all "locale".

But did anyone see Denmark-Italia, that was one hell of a game although no goal were scored.
Thomas Sørensen was brilliant between the goal posts and Gianluigi Buffon did also show a good play at the other side although I would have liked Denmark to win this one.

Don't miss out Germany-Holland @ 18:25 GMT today.

sverrir wrote:

But did anyone see Denmark-Italia, that was one hell of a game although no goal were scored.
Thomas Sørensen was brilliant between the goal posts and Gianluigi Buffon did also show a good play at the other side although I would have liked Denmark to win this one.

I agree. It was a great match. Denmark was the better team imo.

Hehehe, Latvia are leading Czech Republic 1-0 at half time :)

England 3 - 0 Switzerland

muahah wink

Why did I have to read this topic! I was goint to watch the match later tonight :)

poor Rickard wink

I did warn you in the thread title.

Latest results

France 2 - 2 Croatia
Police 33 - 0 Hooligans

Paul wrote:

Police 33 - 0 Hooligans

Nice one big_smile

Well I'm gonna enjoy Sweden - Italy now.
Hopefully 1-0 for Sweden but it could also go 1-1.

Still enjoying it?

Jebb

It was getting hairy but an unbelivable goal from Zlatan Ibrahimovich made my guess come true.
Andreas Isaksson was doing good things in this game.

Now I'm just waiting until 22.june for Denmark - Sweden.
But Croatia - England will probably also be a good game on 21.june.