Topic: Oi, Swedes!

Are any of you in Gothenburg then?

Re: Oi, Swedes!

I am :)

Aston Villa are doing a Swedish tour from 21st-28th July, and the fans are basing themselves in Gothenburg. Ryanair is offering flights for just £15 out there and £5 back!

I fancy coming over. Whats there to do in Gothenburg? I hear beer is expensive but I would HAVE to got to "O'Leary's" :) Whats the drinking age anyway?

Sounds nice :)

I'm not really the "beer-type", so I don't know any good places for that. You have to be 18 to drink, but there might be other limits in some places, and I don't know what they have at O'Leary's.

You could always visit Liseberg, as everyone else :)

http://www.olearys.se
Depending on weekday and time on the day the "bars" usually have 20+ req, sportsbars usually don't have age req if you look decent and not too drunk smile

Just in case you didn't know - David O'Leary is the manager of Aston Villa, hence the pilgrimage.

Didn't know smile

I have pretty much nada interest in any sports really...hobbies lay with computertech and r/c planes...

Can you recommend anything, or conversely can you warn me of anything to do in Gothenburg?

There are four venues for the games:

If we have Gothenburg as our campsite the length to travel to the different locations is as follows:
-Kungshamn is 100 km north.
-Kungsbacka is 20 km south.
-Jonkoping is 120 km east.
-Örgryte is in Gothenburg.

Also, I hear beer costs 3 Euros? Please say this isn't true :( Are there any alternatives?

For mostly pubs you must be +20, or else there is just kids tongue

10 (edited by CodeDuck 2004-06-21 20:00)

Joey wrote:

Also, I hear beer costs 3 Euros? Please say this isn't true :( Are there any alternatives?

It's not entirely true I'm afraid, I don't think you will ba able to find a pub that serves beer for much less than 4? and a pint of some quality brand beer will properly set you back 5-6?. :-(
Tha alternative, if you want to save some money, is to buy beer in goverment owned stores called Systembolaget with prices starting at 1? - notice that the legal age for buying alcohol at Systembolaget is 20 years.

20? That's outrageous. I've spent the first 18 years of my life waiting to be of legal age for alcohol, and here is another barrier!

I'm a barman FFS! :D

Or you could go to Helsingborg instead (where I live) and take the ferry to Denmark (20 minutes) where you can buy beer for something like ?0.5 :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

13 (edited by CodeDuck 2004-06-21 20:01)

Joey wrote:

20? That's outrageous. I've spent the first 18 years of my life waiting to be of legal age for alcohol, and here is another barrier!

Well for some reason drinking in bars is allowed from the age of 18 - I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this. But then again I'm originally from Denmark where we did not have any age restrictions on purchasing alcohol when I was young and you could buy a cold Carlsberg in the campus cafeteria for less than one euro. 
(To be fair I have to add that there is a age limit of 15 in Denmark now. - Probably some EU regulation.)

But if I'm with a group of men I'd be fine anyway.

Its expensive to buy beer at "city pubs", around 5 euro(45 kronor) for only 40 cl.

What other cities are recommended in Scandinavia?

I hear Aarhus is quite nice :)

I can recommend Århus smile

One thing i dont like about Gothenburg is all the artists/hippies.

CodeDuck wrote:

Well for some reason drinking in bars is allowed from the age of 18 - I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this. But then again I'm originally from Denmark where we did not have any age restrictions on purchasing alcohol when I was young and you could buy a cold Carlsberg in the campus cafeteria for less than one euro.

That explains a lot ;)