Re: UEFA Euro 2004 thread (scores included)

By my reckoning it was England 2 - 1 Portugal after 90 minutes.

Paul wrote:

By my reckoning it was England 2 - 1 Portugal after 90 minutes.

Mwhahahaha. Sorry, but one of your player did touch the goalie, they did say that you are not that hard with that rule back in Britain. I did hope that England should win sad

That was the most biased referee I have seen in a while. All of my school were screaming about it...

England won in my eyes

Andy wrote:

England won in my eyes

Let me know how they do in next match wink

Think of the fairness of England's situation. We knocked out Switzerland, and they put a SWISS ref in our match. What?

The goal was legal from the replays, the linesman accepted it, the ref overruled him.

I was laughing at the free kicks the ref gave to Portugal... one was when a Portugese player went ass first into one of England's players head... Free kick to Portugal.

Riiiight

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal … 838421.stm

A good article. The topic says it all: "Caution proves England's undoing". You can't play defensive, destructive football and expect to win agains a team that plays offensive, constructive football. England barely touched the ball in the second half of the game.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I can't say that I wanted Portugal to advance from this game but I'm inclined to agree that England was not performing as expected nor playing as I would have liked to see.

One can only hope that in 2006 they will go further.
For now I'll just settle for one of my Nordic relatives to sweep up the tournament wink

Rickard wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal … 838421.stm

A good article. The topic says it all: "Caution proves England's undoing". You can't play defensive, destructive football and expect to win agains a team that plays offensive, constructive football. England barely touched the ball in the second half of the game.

Not the point. Even if they did have more possesion, and did play better, that goal should have been allowed, and we should have won.

Greece 1 - 0 France

What else is there to say.

Andy wrote:

Not the point. Even if they did have more possesion, and did play better, that goal should have been allowed, and we should have won.

In the Premier League perhaps, but not in the European Championship. At least the Swedish commentators and "experts" seem to agree that it was a correct call by the referee.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

the linesman, who was closer to the action, was conceding the goal... why didn't the ref consult with his fellow official?

No idea. Quite a few international referee's around the world have said that it should have been allowed.. on the other hand, quite a few have probably said the opposite.

Greece 1 - France 0

Fascinating tongue

It's a sad day for football.

Nope, great day big_smile
(Holland)

I blame it on Zlatan :-)
No to be fair I think Holland actually made the best effort, but when it comes down to penalty shoot-outs it more a matter of luck.
The problem I think, is that there are way to few goals in football, determining the best team after a series of matches with on average less than two goals per team/match is statistically very uncertain. I say, when they can modify the rules every year in Formula One (sometime even during the season) to make it more fair and entertaining, then why can't they do the same in football?

I MAY be a bit biased here :), but I actually think Sweden was worth the win. We had more "close calls".

I apologise yet again for an Aston Villa player missing a decisive penalty. First Vassell now Mellberg. I fear for Laursen and Sorensen in tonight's game for Denmark.

Joey: I assume your sig now refers to the 2006 World Cup.

Oh well. This ones even better:

http://wga.web.surftown.se/dksve.gif

Anyway, if Greece gets to the finals, I'm gonna stick to bowling instead.

Didn't go too well for the Danes I'm afraid.

Saw this the other day... well funny.

http://r-e.co.il/article/0406251157/

pgregg wrote:

Saw this the other day... well funny.

http://r-e.co.il/article/0406251157/

Call me stupid, but I don't get the ones with the dog. Loved the last one though :)

I think they are trying to imply that he is blind and the dog being of the guide kind big_smile

ahaha!

This thread seems to have died since England and Sweden got knocked out.

If there are any members here from Greece or Portugal who wish to gloat, this is the place to do it.