Topic: GMail

There sure is a lot of talk about GMail these days. Especially the hysteria regarding the invites (people selling invites and whatnot). So, is it that good? I haven't been able to try it out yet *hint* *hint*

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: GMail

Telling the world about GMail's 1GB limit on April 1 also made it more hysterical :D When it's public, I want one for sure! I think they'll get tons of users as soon as they open up.

Hopefully it's as slick as google.com is now, then I'm sattisfied.

3 (edited by Falconey 2004-09-03 11:09)

I've got gmail since late april / may.

The conversation threading they built is quite nice, especially for mailing lists.

I'll probably get some more invites next week, i'll see what i can do smile

Edited: link were dead.

Damm they keep surprising me those google dudes.

Hope they got those server ready to go when they go publick with this. Main I have nightmires of server parks that are needed to run a thing like that, 1 GB for every user can u imagen that ?

Sing me up for one of those.

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Just an Apache inside.

It looks excellent...

They don't need THAT many servers to start with... allocating a user 1gb doesn't use up a GB, just sets a limit for them.

6 (edited by Falconey 2004-07-02 10:28)

I think they should make gmail invite only.

When hotmail upgrades their storage space to 250mb for a free account i think most users will stay with hotmail. (this month if im correct)

(did i mention that HotMaIL sucks ? smile)

I actually purchased an invite via EBay ($1.50 :D) last night. I'm at work now though, so I can't check to see if I received anything.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

I actually purchased an invite via EBay ($1.50 :D) last night. I'm at work now though, so I can't check to see if I received anything.

Oh, I though they were MUCH more expensive than that! How many beta-testers do they have?

Edit: Seems to be a lot of accounts for sale: search.ebay.com...

Edit2:Quote from a seller:

This auction is for 1 Google gmail invitation.  I've sold 40+ invites already, check my profile for satisfied buyers... I have 100% satisfaction, so bid with confidence.

40 accounts? Don't they just get one account, and one extra to give away? Can gmail-users invite people as they want or how does it work?

9 (edited by Falconey 2004-07-02 12:40)

I get multiple invites a week.

I've got two accounts wich 1 is an invited one (from myself)

On the "original" account i get like 3-10 invites a week.
Interval between the invites doesn't make any sense to me, i think google just dispatches invites when theyre ready for heavier load (testing and stuff)

Falconey wrote:

Interval between the invites doesn't make any sense to me, i think google just dispatches invites when theyre ready for heavier load (testing and stuff)

Okay, sounds like a probable cause yes... you don't have anyones you don't use, or do you sell your's too? (As in: Could I get one if you're not using it? :D)

hmm beta tester looking for invite wink If anny of you have a invite over.

I know they don't need that meany server when they start but can you imagen what they would need if they have the service running for over a year ?

Falconey wrote:

When hotmail upgrades their storage space to 250mb for a free account i think most users will stay with hotmail.

lets hope not

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Just an Apache inside.

Chacmool wrote:
Falconey wrote:

Okay, sounds like a probable cause yes... you don't have anyones you don't use, or do you sell your's too? (As in: Could I get one if you're not using it? big_smile)

Me too smile

An interesting idea for using 1Gb of free storage
http://ilia.ws/archives/15_Gmail_as_an_ … ystem.html

14 (edited by Falconey 2004-07-02 14:31)

Well, if i've got a few invites to spare ill post it here, the waiting list is currently 34 people/friends. When those are sent i'll post here.

When that'll be, i don't know. Probably about 6-7 weeks from now.

Oh, another thing: Rickard will probably get about one invite a week. ^^

Falconey wrote:

Well, if i've got a few invites to spare ill post it here, the waiting list is currently 34 people/friends. When those are sent i'll post here.

As I assumed, seems like everyone want's an account :)

Falconey wrote:

Oh, another thing: Rickard will probably get about one invite a week. ^^

Maybe I could give Rickard $1 and get an account from him then ;P

Add me to any list of invites any of you get :up:

I've got 4 invites left at the moment.
Post your email here below and I'll send you a invite.

I knew i wasn't the only one here with gmail smile

Anyway, you can invite Chacmool, Joey and hcgtv (dont know for sure on that last one.)
They asked in this topic allready. And rickard, unless you want all the people without gmail asking here i think you should put this topic in your robots.txt smile

Google allready crawled the screenshots on my hosting. (about an hour after i posted here)

sverrir wrote:

I've got 4 invites left at the moment.
Post your email here below and I'll send you a invite.

hcgtv(AT)myway.com

sverrir:
Woh, nice! :D My mail: chacmoool@spray.se

Hey, it's only email.. right?

andytaylor(at)speed-mail.co.uk

Damn I would owe you something big yikes

Jansson wrote:

Hey, it's only email.. right?

Yes it is... but It's GMail :D

Andy wrote:

Damn I would owe you something big :o

Well, maybe ~$0.99 ;)

Falconey wrote:

Anyway, you can invite Chacmool, Joey and hcgtv (dont know for sure on that last one.)

I'm not worthy ;(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3859501.stm

Do, or do not.