Re: Firefox impressions...

Make that:

body { padding: 0 }

Thought the forum used textile by default, my mistake...

Douglas

Isn't margin and padding two different things? :P

Jansson wrote:

Isn't margin and padding two different things? :P

Yes, and that's why margin:0 didn't kill the padding in Opera, and why Opera is more standards compliant than Firefox/IE.

See also: http://jking.dark-phantasy.com/writings … dding.html
http://www.opera.com/support/search/sup … ?index=727

There was a lot of discussion from July 23rd to the 26th last year on the www-style@w3.org mailing list about the sample stylesheets:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:qE … &hl=en

Basically, some argue that they should be removed, that browsers don't have to implement them, they're just guidelines, among other comments ...

Louis wrote:

Yes, and that's why margin:0 didn't kill the padding in Opera, and why Opera is more standards compliant than Firefox/IE.

I know I said something similar, but that page I linked to is "informative" rather than normative - so technically isn't part of the standard itself.

FF is OK, but I find it hard to customize. Will have to download 0.9 and see if it is any better.

Douglas

Yeah yeah, and I was using your words instead of thinking up my own.

I still think Opera is more standards compliant, but even if it isn't, it's a better browser than Mozilla anyway. Firefox might get better, but Opera is still faster and more stable than Firefox, so I use it more often, because I know I can depend on it working the way I expect.

The thing I don't like about Opera (apart from the fact that it is Norwegian! :D) is that it looks like the GUI was designed by a twelwe year old when you first start it up. All the buttons have really corny transition effects and the interface is generally bloated with very little space left for the actual content. I know you can turn all that crap off, but the fact that it starts out with it enabled is definately a bad thing.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

The thing I don't like about Opera (apart from the fact that it is Norwegian! :D) is that it looks like the GUI was designed by a twelwe year old when you first start it up. All the buttons have really corny transition effects and the interface is generally bloated with very little space left for the actual content. I know you can turn all that crap off, but the fact that it starts out with it enabled is definately a bad thing.

I totally agree. I'm also a Opera-user, just love the mousemoves! The first thing to do is, as you said, to remove all big buttons and searchfields :) I like the new "bookmark-box" in 7.5 though :)

The same thing goes for Miranda where you can remove all menus (like this), make it much simpler :) I don't understand people who still runs Mirabilis ICQ with tons of feautures that no one uses, ads, and such things.

Far too true sad

But it is very nice when it looks like you want it to look smile

Apparently my UI takes up 10.19% of vertical space in Opera. That includes windows task bar and the title bar of Opera. (otherwise it would be more like 5%)

Douglas

If you haven't tried Opera 7.5 yet check it out. Way better than earlier versions. Also look for the extensions by Moose. He has a minimal web developer layout.

Jeff Adams wrote:

If you haven't tried Opera 7.5 yet check it out. Way better than earlier versions. Also look for the extensions by Moose. He has a minimal web developer layout.

Extentions in opera? Or are you talking about firefox again? :)

Since I develop sites for a living, I have several browsers installed in my system.

My regular browser is currently Mozilla 1.7.  I use a skin called lopburi flat which gets rid of most the graphical fluff in the default skin.

However, I also have the newest Firefox and like it very much.  Tabbed browsing is definately the way to go.  I set my preferences to load tabs in the background... that way when doing a search in Google I can click on several links while the pages load while I browse Googles results.  You just gotta love it!

The problems with IE are many but most of all my complaint is that it has way too many security vulnerabilities.... and too many enemies looking for the latest vulnerability.

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

A nice feature of Firefox is "remove this object". However, its only on a temporary basis. Is there a way to permanently remove an object from a page?

I'd use FF0.9.1, but for some reason it doesn't launch hmm So I use FF0.8
I find FF to load up much faster than IE. Pages also appear to load faster, but that's because IE doesn't show the content of pages until it's fully loaded (unlike FF.)
I have two main really annoying problems with firefox...
The one is how my router config page hates it. I have to open IE every time I need to manually redial the modem.
The other is the ultra annoying auto-complete bug. I type the and click on theregister.com, and occasionally it'll just go to "the.com"... same, sometimes, for when I hit the down arrow and enter. It's really annoying.

40 (edited by Falconey 2004-07-13 08:36)

Firefox 0.9.2 has been released.

You can get it here

The link is broken due to a bug in 1.1.4. It's been fixed in 1.2 though. /Rickard