Topic: Moving a post to a thread of it's own

It'd be nice to have the Edit function (for Admins and Moderators only) include the ability to move a post from one thread to another thread in the same or different forum and/or start a new thread of it's own in a forum of choice.

Re: Moving a post to a thread of it's own

Agreed. I haven't decided on whether I will add it in 1.2 though. Remember, the goal is to keep PunBB nice and simple.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Remember, the goal is to keep PunBB nice and simple.

Though, it will be nice and simple for most of the users (only moderators are affected by adding more admin functionality).

RE: simple

Understood. I will probably add it to my customized version in a few weeks but I thought I'd offer it as a suggestion. As an Admin/Mod it would be really handy for those posters who - innocent or intended - still hijack a thread. A quick way to deal with those situations would save us a fair amount of time.

G.

maybe there should be like a moderate topic button allowing you to check posts and with selected: delete, move like the moderator forum button dunno if this goes against keeping it simple but its a simple way of implementing that idea i think

There's one problem and that problem is post times. What happens when you want to move a certain post to a topic that was started after the post was made.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

i suppose if you move to another topic rather than to a new topic it would have to be added to the end of the topic and the timestamp reset to the current time

>> There's one problem and that problem is post times.

Is copying the original post time not an option for some reason?

i think the problem is that if the time is before the topic where does the post go? before the first post? to the end? ...

Exactly. In order for a topic to make any sense, the "topic post" must appear first. However, if we move posts into this topic that were made before any of the posts in the topic, they would have to appear before any of the original posts and it won't make any sense.

Ah.

Well perhaps moving a post to an existing thread isn't all that necessary. It really is more likely that a post will need a thread of it's own. Personally, that would be fine with me if that's all I had for an options and that would resolve the issue.

The reason i suggested a moderate topic button is sometimes you want to split a topic into 2 topics if after a certain point the posts go offtopic or the topic just gets to big

How would such a feature be implemented? Would you select one post and then have that post and any posts thereafter to become a new topic? What about posts that are actually on topic after the "split post"?

e.g. if you are a moderator(or admin) you can press moderate topic at the bottom and a checkbox appears next to each post you can then check the posts you want to move to a new topic or delete them. that way you only choose the offtopic posts you could also have move all topics after the first seletected post to a new topic

Rickard wrote:

There's one problem and that problem is post times. What happens when you want to move a certain post to a topic that was started after the post was made.

Its mostly a time problem, as in, the database sorts the posts from the date posted. If that were the situation, the time and date should be changed to the time that it was moved.

Do, or do not.

16 (edited by lorax 2004-07-31 15:17)

>>  What about posts that are actually on topic after the "split post"?

Let them remain and in the order they appear. On some Boards they handle it by changing the post within the original thread to read something like "This post moved to ................" with a link to the new location. This does two things. One it keeps the thread's integrity. Two, it provides interlinking for the Search Engines to follow and aids in the site's crawlability.

Ok. As I said in the first post, we'll see :)

Any new views on this since this date Rickard? For 1.3 maybe? smile

A split thread tool would quite, quite, quite useful. A merge one too, but a little less, maybe it could wait a little smile

Oh man, a built-in official tool for splitting threads would be awesome right now.  My users are constantly joining in on a thread and taking it in a different direction than it was intended for.

Ex: In the FAQ section of a MMORPG forum they'll ask about buying items when their post belonged in a trade forum setup for just that.

Any plans to add this soon?