Topic: Time zone

Hello people,

Is there anyway that PubBB can find out what time zone the server is set to and reflect this in the profile settings?

Cheers,
Glen.

Re: Time zone

You can set the server timezone in admin/options if that's what you're asking about.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

You can set the server timezone in admin/options if that's what you're asking about.

It's not.

I want to know if the forum can display correct time settings as it doesn't if the servers time zone isn't set to GMT as PunBB assumes the sedrver is GMT.

SO, my question is, is there a way the forum can display GMT time when the setting is selected on a non-GMT server.

Yes, read what Rickard said wink
Simply setting the correct server timezone in Admin/Options will make your time GMT. wink

I did read it and it's not what I mean

I understand that you can set your time zone in the admin option BUT when I select GMT it doesn't display the actual GMT time. This is because the server I am hosted with isn't GMT time.

Again, my question is this : Can you get PunBB to query the server for the current time and display GMT time when selected in the admin option ?

Thanks in advance.

Yes.
My timezone is -4 right now, so I set it to -4.
The time displayed by PunBB is now GMT tongue
You just tell PunBB what your server's timezone is.

Ok, thanks again.

Is there any way this can be done automatically ?

Cheers.

Hmm, I guess so.
In install.php, you can set o_server_timezone to Z (the timezone in seconds) divided by 3600. That would yield the correct timezone.

But this is still a manual process, I'm after an automatic one.

I mean you put it in and then when you install the board, it sets the time.

OK, what happens if my host decides to put me on another server or I decided to change hosts ?

I don't believe there is a way to detect in what timezone the server is sitting. Even if there was a way, it's a one time setting.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Not really as I explained. I may be changing hosts.

There is a way to detect time zone as I've seen it done.

I think he wants the timezone to be reflected for guest users.

Do, or do not.

This is from the php date function:
T - Timezone setting of this machine; i.e. "MDT"

<?php echo date("T"); ?>

Should print out the timezone of the machine the script is run on.

I'm really sorry, I must not be making any sense.

The drop down menu in the admin section prompts you to enter the server time i.e GTM. Is there a way that the drop down menu can be discarded and replaced by a simple script that calculates this for you ?

glenr: And I answer with a new question. Since you only set that option one time, why?

Why not ?

If I change hosts them I'll have to change it a second time.

Plus it's one less thing that forum administrators will have think about isn't it.

glenr wrote:

Why not ?

So change it again. Is that a big deal?

This isn't the point. The point is automation. The more things that are automated the better. Don't you think?

Thats what Microsoft said, and 9 months later, we have Windows ME...

Do, or do not.

glenr wrote:

Why not ?

Plus it's one less thing that forum administrators will have think about isn't it.

True, but the more "automation" we add to PunBB, the closer we get to boards such as phpBB, Invision Board and vBulletin. And we don't want that.

Rickard wrote:
glenr wrote:

Why not ?

True, but the more "automation" we add to PunBB, the closer we get to boards such as phpBB, Invision Board and vBulletin. And we don't want that.

I am surprised that you feel the major differentiator between PunBB and boards such as phpBB is automation. I believe that PunBB's strength lies in the low implementation time and simplicity of design which in-turn increases efficiency.

If more automation is added to PunBB then I feel your product would appeal to both types of forum administrators. I'm positive that the main reason forum administrator choose boards such as phpBB is due the features and automation. If they could have an easily installable, feature rich, simple design and efficient board then I believe they would choose it. The fact that mods exist for PunBB shows that there is a demand for such a board.

Step-up and fill the demand before someone else does.

I never think PunBB was meant to be feature rich ... it's meant to be small and fast, the more features that's added, the slower the forum will be...

Here's some reading smile

Two words.  Mountain.  Molehill. 

Making one out of the ohter.

Oops, that's 8.  My bad. big_smile

Digital photography news, reviews, discussions and more!
http://www.shuttertalk.com

The online bible for all
http://www.publicbible.com