Re: GMail

I got two a couple of weeks ago, my first ones :)

What's so special about it?

It's so smooth somehow. A couple of things:

1. You don't use folders and such stuff, you search for the mails instead. Much easier to find anything in a mail when you don't have to remember in which mail it was :)
2. As you see on this picture, mails are not stored one-and-one, they're bunched together to "conversations" (green = sent my me, red = received). This makes it much easier to follow something.
3. Much is loaded directly but hidden with javascripts (as my "readme-sample"). If i press 'Reply' on the page shown at the screenshot, it takes 1ms and I'm ready to write.

And so on... it's plain simple to use :)

Edit: You can also use 'Labels', and/or 'Star' a message to find it easier...

how can i get an account?
I already asked some people but they said that they already 'gave' their accounts to someone else?

Johi wrote:

how can i get an account?
I already asked some people but they said that they already 'gave' their accounts to someone else?

You must get an invite from someone who already has it. Google hands out invites to users when they feel it's time for some more users.

Chacmool wrote:
Todd wrote:

I know.... I'm sad and pathetic.

No you're not. Everybody should have a Gmail, it owns all other webmails I've ever tested! smile

Thanks Chacmool for the vote of confidence.  I have heard so many good things about GMail... I just can't wait to get my hands on an account.

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

Todd wrote:
Chacmool wrote:
Todd wrote:

I know.... I'm sad and pathetic.

No you're not. Everybody should have a Gmail, it owns all other webmails I've ever tested! :)

Thanks Chacmool for the vote of confidence.  I have heard so many good things about GMail... I just can't wait to get my hands on an account.

Then wait no more! I've sent you an invite.

I haven't gotten a single invite and I've had my account since July 2.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Oh, that's weird. Maybe it's based on how much you use it?

I've got 3-4 invites since July 3. I "gave" one of these to myself (can't figure out which login-name to use :)) exactly a week ago, and it got three or four invites so far.

Gmail rocks, but still some bugs out there that needs to be fixed.

Chacmool wrote:

I "gave" one of these to myself (can't figure out which login-name to use :))

Just curious, anyone figured out how to sign on to different gmail accounts via a firefox bookmark?

I know you can only view one account at a time, but having to sign on, sign out, sign back on again gets tiring.

Haha! I'm an idiot. I just figured the invites would appear as e-mail. I then spotted "Invite 6 friends to Gmail" in the lower left corner :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

63 (edited by Todd 2004-08-26 03:06)

smile smile smile

Chacmool aka David....

Your awesome!   Thanks for the invite to Gmail.

I was shocked when I saw the invite in my inbox.  Whoah.... Gmail invite! This rocks! .... I thought to myself.

With careful precision I entered my new user name and password... don't screw anything up here Todd!  Upon logging into my account I was initiated as an official Gmail - mark this date 8-25-2004... scribble scribble.

I'm a Gmail insider baby!!! Yeah!!  smile  All thanks to my fellow punbb user Chacmool!

Man, can I get overly dramatic! wink

but it is awesome!!

If its cheaper to run Windows than it is to run Linux, how come Microsoft has all the money?

Rickard wrote:

Haha! I'm an idiot. I just figured the invites would appear as e-mail. I then spotted "Invite 6 friends to Gmail" in the lower left corner :)

<subtle_hint>Do I qualify as a friend? :-)</subtle_hint>

hcgtv wrote:
Chacmool wrote:

I "gave" one of these to myself (can't figure out which login-name to use :))

Just curious, anyone figured out how to sign on to different gmail accounts via a firefox bookmark?

I know you can only view one account at a time, but having to sign on, sign out, sign back on again gets tiring.

No, I don't think it's possible as GMail is using cookies to track the user. You could use "GMail notifier" on one, and a bookmark for one. Though, I can't find anywhere to alter the settings in the notifier, don't know how it works :)

Rickard wrote:

Haha! I thought it was odd that you got no invites during all this time :)

Todd wrote:

Your awesome!   Thanks for the invite to Gmail.

I was shocked when I saw the invite in my inbox.  Whoah.... Gmail invite! This rocks! .... I thought to myself.

You're welcome. I figured you would like it :D

I got no invites hmm Haven't had any since I got my account...

CodeDuck wrote:

<subtle_hint>Do I qualify as a friend? :-)</subtle_hint>

Check your inbox :)

i'll be your friend too tongue

i dont have Gmail, i really, really want one though wink wink .
1gb for a free mail service is pretty damn good. i used to prefer yahoo over google, but  if they ever release it, id switch big_smile

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

I noticed on eBay that the price of invites has dropped significantly.... some guys are selling invites as cheap as a buck.

how do people get invites? is it the people that have the accounts that get the invites to send to people?

Indocron

I'm sorry Connorhd and Gary13579, but my 6 invites are already gone. It turns out I have lots of new friends all of a sudden :)

lol its ok i would have a invite by now but all the people i know with it have decided to try their luck on ebay first lol so much for friends

That's what I did. I payed $1.50 for my invite :)

thats alright, ill have to get someone elses wink

you only get 6 invites? what stops you from inviting yourself to get another 6 invites????

Indocron