Re: Private Message System

Cool mod! But how come PunBB doesnt have this feature aready installed? Anyway cool! smile

~Beware of the Darkness Within~

Read this page and you'll understand.

Thanks for that, but really a PM is something that all boards should have... ANywa it's the PunBB developer's call! Good work again! smile

Zypher wrote:

Thanks for that, but really a PM is something that all boards should have...

I'm not so sure. Why add yet another way of communicating when there's e-mail and all the IM networks?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

how often do you actually need to use PMs especially with form email on the site

206 (edited by Paul 2004-09-03 11:54)

PM systems also depend on both parties wanting to use it. I get emails from forum admins telling me my PM inbox is overflowing because people send me messages but I don't use the PM system so I never see them.

But still... Sometimes PM's are good for direct conversation... If you dont have access to a chat room people tend to use the PM system. Because it's simple and easy and with just a few clicks you have sent a message to the other partie.

@Chacmool,
do u finished with the email feature? big_smile

Regards
Michaela

cherry1499 wrote:

@Chacmool,
do u finished with the email feature? :D

Regards
Michaela

No, not yet :) I've installed a server now, so I'll maybe look at it "soon".

Jordie wrote:

Thanks for the help. I do have one other question on the mod read me file it says to upload all the new files. Do I upload it in the same directory as punbb and overright files or what? It should get more specific.

You upload the files in the "files"-directory to the PunBB-root-directory. I should make it more specific in the readme yes...

Zypher wrote:

But still... Sometimes PM's are good for direct conversation... If you dont have access to a chat room people tend to use the PM system. Because it's simple and easy and with just a few clicks you have sent a message to the other partie.

i suppose it depends what kind of forum you are running, i hardly ever use PMsa but then i talk to most forum members in chatrooms...

I am not trying to win a fight or anything, is just the mojority of forums that I have been on uses the PM system non stop. And yes it does get annoying... ANyway... Any updates?

Another thought on why PMS's are useful. Teachers may want to communicate with students, provide feedback to them on submissions, etc.....but there's hazy issues over "requiring" email because by doing so you're automatically opening the kids up to receiving spam....much of it adult oriented. By having a PMS you can communicate with your students without spam being an issue. I'm quite grateful for the PMS mod that exists for PUNBB (without it I wouldn't have chosen to use PUN) as the code was quite modifiable, and I can use it to communicate with students directly. I kinda wish that it allowed "folders" so that messages could be sorted, but beggars can't be choosers. Maybe a future mod of a mod??? LOL.

mb

well, i got a bug.

im trying to send a message to Dr. D'nar and it wont. it says that theres no one with that username.

i think it has to do with the ' or the . in it. plz fix this.

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

Gary13579 wrote:

well, i got a bug.

im trying to send a message to Dr. D'nar and it wont. it says that theres no one with that username.

i think it has to do with the ' or the . in it. plz fix this.

Which version are you running? I know I've had this problem before, but it should be fixed already.

well, i just got the newest version of of punres, installing now...

great, i have to redownload punbb, restore the files to there origanal state, then reinstall the mod

Indocron

d*mn, it still doesnt work.

Indocron

True. I've tested it at your forum, and it seems to be somewring wrong yes. Though, when I
created a user named "Dr. D'nar" on my test-forum, everything worked just fine!

Here's the code that do the test in message_send.php, I can't see what might be wrong...

// Get userid
$result = $db->query('SELECT id,username FROM '.$db->prefix.'users WHERE id!=1 AND username=\''.addslashes($_POST['req_username']).'\'') or error('Unable to get user id', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

// Send message
if(list($id,$user) = $db->fetch_row($result)){
    ... alot of code...
}
else{
    message($lang_pms['No user']);
}

I have the same error since the beginning ...

'      >           user is not recognized ...

Chacmool wrote:

True. I've tested it at your forum, and it seems to be somewring wrong yes. Though, when I
created a user named "Dr. D'nar" on my test-forum, everything worked just fine!

Here's the code that do the test in message_send.php, I can't see what might be wrong...

// Get userid
$result = $db->query('SELECT id,username FROM '.$db->prefix.'users WHERE id!=1 AND username=\''.addslashes($_POST['req_username']).'\'') or error('Unable to get user id', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

// Send message
if(list($id,$user) = $db->fetch_row($result)){
    ... alot of code...
}
else{
    message($lang_pms['No user']);
}

im at school right now, so i cant check the code, but i did update it. is the newest version 1.1.2?

Gary13579 (lazy) wrote:

im at school right now, so i cant check the code, but i did update it. is the newest version 1.1.2?

Yes it is.

alright, thats what  i upgraded to.

so theres no reason that it wouldnt work?

now that i recall, i did get an error in the instal, but it added the table fine. i dont think it would affect this at all, seems how the major stuff is in the file, not the database.

Indocron

The members don't seem to be able to post messages to the admins. They get the error "their inbox is full". The messages was converted from phpbb to punbb with your convert script. I (admin) can send messages to myself though!

Ohh! My mistake :)

I did not consider this scenario when I made the mod. I'll make a fix right away.

Done!

I've put a new version at PunBB Resource.

Changes:
1. Users can now send messages to admins/moderators even if their inbox is full.
2. Added a 'Mark all messages as read'-link.

You don't have to reinstall the mod. All changes are done in the mod-files, so just replace those and it'll work fine!

Edit: I've also added a few entries to the language-file, so if you've translated a non-english-file I'd be glad if you could post the correct lines here :)

225 (edited by Madoor 2004-09-16 15:27)

The thing is that my inbox isn't full...

Do u have any file explaining how to upgrade on your own (moding the files)?