Topic: Remember "Subscribe to this topic" checkbox

I think that if I'm replying to a topic where I've already activated the "Subscribe to this topic" checkbox, that checkbox should remain selected the next time I wrote a reply
and/or
in the "Profile" I should have a "Subscribe to topic when you reply" option that makes the checkbox already selected and that subscribes me when I use the "Quick post".

I'm sorry if I write too much on this forum but I like this software too much smile
(and I always use the subscribe option in all the forums I use wink )

P.

Re: Remember "Subscribe to this topic" checkbox

The reason it isn't is to prevent people from subscribing to each and every topic they post in. Believe it or not, but sending out lots and lots of e-mails actually takes a while for the server.

Doing this would require the addition of yet another profile option and I want to avoid that if possible. Is it really that important?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

surely its only 1 email per post however many people subcribe to it?

No. It's one e-mail per subscriber. You can't mass e-mail out those notifications for two reasons:

1. Using a large list of hidden recipients upsets spam filters.
2. You can't just CC it, because then other peoples e-mail addresses will be revealed.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Okay, I need to add my 2 cents.

I'll second this option.  I would NOT have it default to the last box selected, because then you need to remember to look at the box with every thread you reply to.

But, I like the idea of having an option in the user preferences to "Subscribe to topic when you reply" option that makes the checkbox already selected.

I mean, come on, who doesn't like to know that they have replies to something they posted?   smile

But hey, "KISS" (keep it simple stupid!)  If it will slow things down / cause problems, don't do it!

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

Not having this feature is the one thing that keeps me from changing from phpBB to PunBB.

[img]http://www.webexpo.org/users/airwave/MeetTheBadgersAnimated.gif[/img]

airwave wrote:

Not having this feature is the one thing that keeps me from changing from phpBB to PunBB.

if its a really big thing, just add it yourself. in phpBB, i didnt understand a thing. but in punbb, i understand alot, so its easy to mod

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

if you want to subcribe when using the quick post just click the Subscribe to this topic  button which is right next to where you get redirected after posting...

Gary13579 wrote:
airwave wrote:

if its a really big thing, just add it yourself. in phpBB, i didnt understand a thing. but in punbb, i understand alot, so its easy to mod

Wouldn't mind a little help with this, as I don't really know PHP. I do know HTML and a little CSS though.

On a side note, I have another small request for a feature. When you have subscribed to a topic, and press reply, the "Subscribe to this topic" should be automaticly selected. Even if it doesn't make any physical difference, the visuals are important.

i think that would be hard. im pretty sure it removes you from that list when someone replies, so that you dont get bombarded with mails when there are 20 new replies

Indocron

well you should need to tick it every time you reply as you only need to be notified once it between your own posts

exactley what i said wink

Indocron

Yes, it should remove you when you get the email, and add you again when you check the topic (and automaticly add you again), like in phpBB.

This is my favorite forum feature ever (believe it or not), and I could not work without it.

wow, i never use it....
i really do mean never. i cant stand getting emails from these things.

Indocron

but i only use it if i post something important and i want to know if someone replys usually, and then i only want to use it once... i think having it ticked by default after you use it once would be bad, but if you want to just add a selected option to the form?

In phpBB, you have an option in the profile:
Always notify me of replies

That's what I can't live without.

Hmmm...
Automatic subscription can really hog up the database if you're posting very often...
But I agree when you say that the visuals are important, so :

1° you get a text link "subscribe to this topic" / when you click on it, it turns automagically into "you subscribed to this topic / unsubscribe?" - That's already like that.
2° When you reply to a topic you subscribed to, the checkbox is empty, and it should not. In fact, the checkbox shouldn't be there at all, but instead you'd have to find an "unsubscribe" checkbox...
3° When you reply, even if you leave the checkbox blank, you're still considered as a subscriber, because it's linked to the topic. There's no need to subscribe every time you reply.

So, the only thing "needed" would be to change the "subscribe" checkbox into "unsubscribe" if the poster has already subscribed, to avoid confusion...

On the "always warn me of replies" thing, I'm against that.

but in punbb its not really subscribing its a one off post notification for that topic

ext wrote:

2° When you reply to a topic you subscribed to, the checkbox is empty, and it should not. In fact, the checkbox shouldn't be there at all, but instead you'd have to find an "unsubscribe" checkbox...

<snip>

So, the only thing "needed" would be to change the "subscribe" checkbox into "unsubscribe" if the poster has already subscribed, to avoid confusion...

Exactly what I ment, except maybe except an unsubscribe box, it should be a subscribe box, already checked (if you are subscribed).

ext wrote:

I think that should be up to each user.

Then, you should also provide the admin an easy way to disable that...

ext wrote:

Then, you should also provide the admin an easy way to disable that...

Yepp, exactly! big_smile

So, Rickard, what's the word on this?

How about this -- give user an option (default off) to receive ONE email per day for all the new posts in one category or forum.
I'm running a forum for a small group. I have the impression that some ppl like bulk mails as a tool for noticing, otherwise they don't know what's going on because they don't visit the forum too often.

i think thats a bad idea... you usually subcribe to specific topics that are important to not... not an entire forum if you want to subcribe to a forum bookmark it tongue or even better bookmark the rss feed for it

I agree that it would be a bad thing for public forums. What I was talking about is an alumini forum (for college classmates). So everything going on in the forum is sort of interesting. The only problem is some ppl just don't like to visit forum in general.
Anyway, I guess this should be a mod rather than a general feature of punbb.